VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
June 11, 2020
Cedar Lane Bridge Beam Removal Tonight to Require Overnight Lane Closures and Traffic Stoppages on I-66 East near Vienna
Demolition of bridge nearing completion; Construction of new bridge abutment to begin next week
FAIRFAX – Removal of old beams from the Cedar Lane Bridge will require lane closures and traffic stoppages on I-66 East in Vienna tonight, Thursday, June 11. Demolition of the Cedar Lane Bridge is nearing completion, with construction of a new bridge abutment expected to begin next week. The bridge is being demolished and rebuilt to accommodate the widening of I-66 as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
What’s Ahead this Weekend and the Week of June 13:
- During overnight hours tonight, Thursday, June 11, the old bridge beams over I-66 East will be removed.
- Daytime demolition of the bridge pier along eastbound I-66 and the southern bridge abutment is planned to begin following the removal of the bridge beams.
- Construction will begin on the northern abutment of the new bridge, to include pile driving during daytime hours.
What I-66 Drivers Should Expect:
- Tonight, Thursday, June 11, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., I-66 East in the Vienna area will be reduced to one lane for crews to remove overhead bridge beams. Drivers should expect periodic 20-minute stoppages between 10:30 p.m. and 4 a.m. while bridge beams are removed.
- Work schedules are weather dependent and might be adjusted.
Recent Construction Progress:
- Demolition of the bridge deck finished on Tuesday night, June 9.
- Bridge beams over I-66 West were removed on Monday night, June 8.
- The bridge pier along I-66 West was demolished on Tuesday night, June 9.
The future Cedar Lane Bridge is scheduled to open in November 2020. The new bridge will consist of two 12-foot lanes (one lane in each direction). A shared-use path for pedestrians and bicyclists will be built on the east side of the bridge, as well as a sidewalk on the west side of the bridge. The bridge will also have seven-foot-tall fencing on both sides.
During the Cedar Lane Bridge closure, a posted detour routes drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians to Gallows Road to cross I-66 using either Cottage Street on the north side of I-66, or Hilltop Road and Route 29 (Lee Highway) on the south side of I-66. Click here for more details on detours.
Additionally, the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project is partnering with Fairfax County to enhance transit services in the vicinity of the bridge. Fairfax Connector Routes 462 and 467 are offering increased frequency and expanded hours during the bridge closure to assist affected travelers. Visit www.FairfaxConnector.com for additional information.
Visit outside.transform66.org/CedarLane for construction updates and more information on the planned closure and reconstruction of the Cedar Lane Bridge.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @vadotnova.
The remaining bridge deck and the bridge pier along I-66 West have been demolished. Beams over I-66 East are scheduled for removal Thursday night, June 11.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.