VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
April 24, 2020
Lane Shift This Weekend on I-66 East Inside the Beltway
Traffic shift marks progress on I-66 Eastbound Widening Project; First sections of new and replacement noise walls complete
FAIRFAX – Travel lanes will be shifted this weekend on I-66 East at the Sycamore Street bridge as part of the I-66 Inside the Beltway Eastbound Widening Project. This traffic shift will complete the shifting of lanes within the four-mile I-66 project area toward the median (left side), allowing work to progress along the right shoulder of I-66. Work on the right side of the roadway includes widening three bridges, installing new and replacement noise walls, and adding a second lane to the exits from I-66 East to Washington Boulevard/Lee Highway (Exit 69) and Glebe Road/Fairfax Drive (Exit 71).
Drivers should expect the following lane closures this weekend:
- On Friday, April 24, a single lane will close between the Dulles Connector Road and Sycamore Street, and remain closed until 4 a.m. Monday, April 27.
- Between 8 p.m. on Friday and 4 a.m. Monday, an additional lane will close on I-66 East from the Dulles Connector Road to Exit 69, Washington Boulevard/Lee Highway (Route 29), with one lane remaining open.
- Temporary traffic stoppages of up to 20 minutes will occur during overnight hours Friday night in the vicinity of I-66 East over Sycamore Street.
- Crews will shift traffic lanes around the bridge over Sycamore Street and reconstruct bridge joints over Williamsburg Boulevard and Westmoreland Street.
- All lanes will open by 4 a.m., Monday, April 27.
Construction is weather dependent and will be adjusted or rescheduled if needed.
In addition to widening eastbound I-66, crews are achieving progress on construction of noise walls. New and replacement noise walls have been completed along I-66 East between Haycock Road and Williamsburg Boulevard. Additional noise walls are in varying stages of construction in locations along I-66 East and West between Williamsburg Boulevard and North Harrison Street, and are scheduled to be completed this fall.
Completed noise wall along I-66 East near Locust Street. Wall under
construction near the bridge over Williamsburg Boulevard.
The I-66 Eastbound Widening Project will add a travel lane along four miles of eastbound I-66 and install approximately 12,000 linear feet of new and replacement noise barriers. The project also includes building a new bridge over Lee Highway (Route 29) for the Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail, and constructing a new direct access ramp from eastbound I-66 to the West Falls Church Metro Station at the Route 7 Interchange.
The additional eastbound lane is scheduled to open to traffic in fall 2020, and the overall project is expected to be complete in fall 2021. Learn more about the I-66 Eastbound Widening Project and sign up for project updates and lane closure alerts at Transform66.org.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.