VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 10, 2020
Overnight Lane Closures and Traffic Stoppages On I-66 East for Demolition of Remaining Cedar Lane Bridge Pier in Vienna Next Week
FAIRFAX – Removal of the remaining pier for the old Cedar Lane Bridge will require lane closures and traffic stoppages on I-66 East in Vienna during overnight hours Monday, July 13, through Friday, July 17. Demolition and reconstruction of the Cedar Lane Bridge is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
What’s Ahead The Week Of July 12:
- Overnight demolition of the remaining center bridge pier is planned. Work requires multiple travel lanes approaching the bridge on I-66 East to be closed, and will begin around 10 p.m. each night.
What I-66 Drivers Should Expect:
- Monday, July 13, through Friday, July 17, from 9:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. nightly, I-66 East will be reduced to a single travel lane near Cedar Lane for crews to demolish the old center bridge pier located between the two Metrorail tracks. Drivers should expect periodic 20-minute stoppages between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. each morning.
- Work schedules are weather dependent and may be adjusted.
Recent Construction Progress:
- Pile driving for the south abutment is complete, with construction of the footing now underway.
- Pile driving for the north abutment is nearly complete.
- Construction of the new center pier along westbound I-66 is scheduled to begin next week (July 13-17) during overnight hours.
The future Cedar Lane Bridge is scheduled to open in November 2020. The new bridge will consist of two 12-foot lanes (one lane in each direction). A shared-use path for pedestrians and bicyclists will be built on the east side of the bridge, as well as a sidewalk on the west side of the bridge. The bridge will also have seven-foot-tall fencing on both sides.
During the Cedar Lane Bridge closure, a posted detour routes drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians to Gallows Road to cross I-66 using either Cottage Street on the north side of I-66, or Hilltop Road and Route 29 (Lee Highway) on the south side of I-66. Click here for more details on detours.
Additionally, the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project is partnering with Fairfax County to enhance transit services in the vicinity of the bridge. Fairfax Connector Routes 462 and 467 are offering increased frequency and expanded hours during the bridge closure to assist affected travelers. Visit www.FairfaxConnector.com for additional information.
Visit outside.transform66.org/CedarLane for construction updates and more information on the planned closure and reconstruction of the Cedar Lane Bridge.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @vadotnova.
Construction is progressing on the new bridge abutments. Demolition of the remaining pier from the old bridge is planned for July 13-17.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.