VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 24, 2020
Overnight Lane Closures and Traffic Stoppages on I-66 Near Route 50 Next Week for Waples Mill Road Bridge Beam Installation
UPDATE (7/30): Bridge beam lifts have been rescheduled for Friday, July 31, and Saturday, August 1, during overnight hours. Drivers should expect periodic traffic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on I-66 West between 10:30 p.m. and 6 a.m. each night, with I-66 reduced to a single travel lane in both directions approaching Waples Mill Road from 9:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night. Consider using alternate routes.
FAIRFAX – I-66 West near Route 50 in Fairfax will be reduced to a single travel lane during overnight hours beginning Monday night, July 27, through Friday night, July 31, for bridge beam installation for the new Waples Mill Road Bridge. On Thursday and Friday nights, July 30 and 31, bridge beam lifts will require traffic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on I-66 West, with I-66 East reduced to a single travel lane. Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area during these times and should consider using alternate routes.
Monday, July 27, through Wednesday, July 29:
I-66 West between Jermantown Road and Route 50
- I-66 West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Waples Mill Road from 9:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Thursday, July 30, and Friday, July 31:
I-66 East and West between Monument Drive and Jermantown Road
- I-66 East and West will be reduced to one travel lane approaching Waples Mill Road from 9:30 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes between 10:30 p.m. and 6 a.m. on I-66 West for crews to lift bridge beams into place
- All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m. (by 9 a.m. on Saturday morning)
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Waples Mill Road Bridge over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.