VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
April 10, 2020
Traffic Changes at Route 28/Braddock Road Intersection in Centreville Starting on or About Monday, April 13
Left-turn lanes from Route 28 North to Braddock Road closing for construction of new Braddock Road-Walney Road bridge and ramps to Route 28 and I-66
FAIRFAX – Several traffic pattern changes will be implemented at the intersection of Route 28 and Braddock Road near I-66 as construction of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project continues. Starting on or about Monday, April 13, the left-turn lanes from Route 28 North to Braddock Road and the spur ramp from I-66 West to Braddock Road will permanently close. Drivers will follow signed detours until the new bridge connecting Braddock and Walney Roads and providing access to Route 28 and I-66 opens in late 2020.
In addition, Braddock Road will temporarily close between Newton Patent Drive and Route 28 from Monday night, April 13, through Friday morning, April 17. Drivers will be temporarily routed to the Westfields Boulevard interchange to access Braddock Road and Route 28.
Permanent Closure of Left-Turn Lanes from Route 28 North to Braddock Road
- At 8 p.m. on Monday, April 13, the following will be permanently closed:
- The two left-turn lanes from Route 28 North to Braddock Road
- The spur ramp from I-66 West to Braddock Road
- Drivers will access Braddock Road by continuing farther north and exiting to Westfields Boulevard West, then travel west to reach Braddock Road.
- This detour will be in place until approximately April 30, when an alternative detour will be implemented to access Braddock Road from Route 28 North.
Temporary Closure of Braddock Road Between Newton Patent Drive and Route 28
- From 8 p.m. Monday, April 13, through 6 a.m. Friday, April 17, Braddock Road will be closed between Newton Patent Drive and Route 28.
- Route 28 southbound traffic will not be able to turn onto Braddock Road. Drivers will be directed prior to the closure to take Westfields Boulevard West to reach Braddock Road.
- Braddock Road traffic will not be able to turn onto Route 28 South. Drivers will be detoured to Westfields Boulevard eastbound to reach Route 28 South.
Temporary and permanent traffic changes at Route 28 and Braddock Road are planned to begin on or about Monday, April 13, 2020, as part of construction of the new bridge connecting Braddock Road and Walney Road.
These traffic changes are needed for construction of the new bridge that will connect Braddock Road and Walney Road. Additional construction-related detours and traffic pattern changes will continue for this work and as crews rebuild the Route 28 Interchange to add access to the I-66 Express Lanes.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.