Jenni McCord 571-230-2926
Mike Murphy 703-638-8547
March 5, 2015
AFTERNOON UPDATE: NORTHERN VA ROADS
Road conditions remain treacherous, extreme freeze coming overnight
FAIRFAX─Road conditions continue to remain treacherous this afternoon in northern Virginia, with limited visibility, temperatures falling and final snow bands moving across the region over the next several hours.
More than 3,800 trucks continue to plow roads in Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William and Arlington counties. Even between plow passes snowfall of one to two inches per hour recovers roads rapidly. The Virginia Department of Transportation urges motorists to remain off the roads unless an emergency.
Additional updates for motorists:
- HOV restrictions on I-66, I-395 and the Dulles Toll Road are lifted for the afternoon rush hour.
- The westbound I-66 X lanes are not available for the afternoon rush hour due to snow accumulation.
- Temperatures falling to lows of single digits tonight will freeze all snow left on the pavement. Overnight and into tomorrow morning, drivers can continue to expect icy patches. Even roads that appear to be bare pavement may have black ice.
- Crews are plowing 16,000 neighborhood streets in northern Virginia, concurrently with interstates and main roads. Check trucks and neighborhood status at www.vdotplows.org
- Neighborhoods will have an eight- to ten-foot path but not bare pavement. Expect snow-packed paths or patches where plows cannot scrape the frozen layer.
- Crews will sand hills, curves and intersections to provide traction.
- If possible, park in driveways or on the odd-numbered side of the street to give plows room to pass.
- If shoveling driveways, leave the last few feet at the curb as the plow will push some snow back.
- Check www.511virginia.org or use the mobile app for road conditions
- Report road problems to 1-800-367-7623 or via the online form
- Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter for updates: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.