Mike Murphy 703-259-1757
Michelle Holland 703-259-3378
Oct. 5, 2015
LATE NIGHT FULL CLOSURES ON I-66 TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY
Closures between I-495 and Route 123; expect major delays eastbound Wed. morning
*****NOTICE: The closures detailed below scheduled for late Wednesday night, October 7 into Thursday morning, October 8 have been POSTPONED. The closures are now scheduled to occur late Thursday night, October 8 into Friday morning, October 9. Times remain the same as listed below.
VIENNA – Intermittent full closures of up to 30 minutes each will occur on eastbound Interstate 66 between Route 123 and Nutley Street and westbound I-66 between I-495 and Nutley Street late Tuesday night, October 6 into Wednesday morning, October 7, and again from late Wednesday night into Thursday morning, October 8, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation. The closures are needed to install the remaining overhead gantries for the recently implemented I-66 Active Traffic Management System.
The closure schedule for each night on eastbound I-66 is as follows:
- Two left lanes will be closed by 9 p.m.
- Three lanes will be closed by 10 p.m. At that time, the shoulder ‘X’ lane will be open as traffic is simultaneously detoured through the Nutley Street exit’s collector-distributor (CD) lanes
- Between midnight and 5 a.m., all of the mainline lanes including the ‘X’ lane will be closed as traffic is detoured through the Nutley Street CD lanes. In addition, between midnight and 5 a.m., the CD lanes will be closed intermittently for up to 30 minutes at a time
On Wednesday morning, motorists on eastbound I-66 can expect major delays, including the potential late opening of the shoulder ‘X’ lane and delayed implementation of HOV restrictions for the morning rush.
The closure schedule for each night on westbound I-66 is as follows:
- The right lane and shoulder ‘X’ lane will be closed at 10 p.m.
- Between midnight and 5 a.m., all lanes including the Nutley Street CD lanes will be closed intermittently for up to 30 minutes at a time
The $38.6 million Active Traffic Management System launched September 16, including new lane control signals between Nutley Street and Route 29 in Centreville. The lane control signals between Nutley Street and I-495 are scheduled to go online later this month.
For more information on the Active Traffic Management System, view the project page.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.