Ellen Kamilakis 703-259-2220
Jennifer McCord 703-259-1779
April 10, 2017
Avoid I-95 South During Upcoming Maintenance
Two weekends of bridge deck repair; Drivers urged to use alternate routes
NOTE: Bridge work has been scheduled for this weekend, from 10 p.m. Friday, June 2 to 6 a.m. Monday, June 5.
DALE CITY – Drivers are urged to avoid southbound I-95 in Dale City for two weekends, April 29-May 1 and May 19-22, as lanes will be closed for bridge deck repair. Congestion and delays are expected to be extensive.
- Southbound I-95 will be reduced from three to two lanes over Neabsco Creek (mile marker 156) from 9 p.m. Saturday, April 29 to 6 a.m. Monday, May 1, and again from 10 p.m. Friday, May 19 to 6 a.m. Monday, May 22.
- Ramps from eastbound and westbound Dale Boulevard to southbound I-95 will also be closed to all except emergency vehicles.
- The southbound car-only safety rest area will also be closed.
The bridge, originally built in 1963, has been regularly inspected and maintained, and remains safe, but is in urgent need of large-scale repairs to sections of the deck. The needed work will include saw-cutting and jackhammering out three bridge sections, the largest being 10 feet by 33 feet, replacing the reinforcing rebar, and pouring new concrete. Work will affect the bridge deck, joint, and abutment.
Due to the time needed to cut the large sections and set the concrete, completing this work over two weekends is necessary (as opposed to multiple overnight closures). VDOT also wants to ensure that the repairs are completed after spring breaks, but before heavy summer travel begins.
During the repairs, the 95 Express Lanes will remain open with toll pricing in effect and free travel for HOV-3 vehicles with E-ZPass Flex set to HOV mode. The lanes will be southbound beginning at 1 p.m. Friday to help alleviate backups, and will be monitored to change direction if needed. Drivers planning to head northbound on these weekends are asked to be aware of this, and to plan trips accordingly for heavier-than-usual return traffic, particularly on the two Sundays.
Drivers are urged to avoid southbound I-95, and to expect significant delays on all of the usual alternate routes.
Some alternate routes can be found at http://bit.ly/neabscobridge and are listed below.
Local drivers in Prince William County:
- East side: Route 1 southbound to Route 234 or Joplin Road northbound to I-95
- West side: Minnieville Road westbound to Spriggs Road southbound to Route 234 southbound to I-95
- East side: I-495 to Route 5 (Branch Avenue) southbound to Route 301 southbound to Route 206/218 westbound to I-95 southbound
- West side: I-495 to I-66 westbound to Route 29/15 to Route 17 southbound to I-95 southbound
All work is weather permitting.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.