Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Aug. 3, 2018
Nighttime Lane and Ramp Closures on I-66 Saturday Night, 8/4 Through Next Week
Closures needed for work between Route 29 in Centreville and I-495
FAIRFAX, Va. - Lane and ramp closures, and periodic traffic stoppages, are scheduled to occur during nighttime hours on I-66 east- and westbound between Route 29 in Centreville and I-495 beginning tomorrow night, Saturday, 8/4, through next week. Details on the planned closures are below. All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement weather occurs.
Drivers traveling on I-66 are urged to use caution, expect delays, and stay informed by registering to receive updates at Transform66.org.
Lane and Ramp Closure Details:
- Route 28
- Saturday, August 4 - Monday, August 6 - Ramp narrowing and partial closure from Route 28 to I-66 East from 11:30 p.m. - 4 a.m. Intermittent 15-minute stoppages and slowdowns will occur during overnight hours.
- Wednesday, August 8 - Two northbound lanes closed between Route 29 and Walney Road from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m to shift lanes.
- Ramp from US Route 50 West to I-66 West
- Monday, August 6 - Full ramp closure from Route 50 West to I-66 West from midnight to 4 a.m. Drivers will be detoured on Route 50 to the West Ox Road (Route 608) interchange, where they will exit onto southbound West Ox Road, and then make a right-hand exit onto eastbound Route 50 to westbound I-66.
- I-66 West between Route 29 in Centreville and Compton Road
- Sunday, August 5 through Wednesday, August 8 - Three left lanes on I-66 West between Route 28 and Compton Road will close on Sunday, August 5, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.; Monday, August 6 through Wednesday, August 8, 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Following this work, all lanes between Route 29 in Centreville and Compton Road will be shifted toward the inside median.
- I-66 East between Route 29 in Centreville and Stringfellow Road
- Sunday, August 5 through Wednesday, August 8 - Three left lanes on I-66 East between Route 29 in Centreville and Stringfellow Road will close from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. This work is needed to shift all lanes between Route 29 in Centreville and Stringfellow Road toward the inside median.
- I-66 East and West between Route 28 and Blake Lane
- Sunday, August 5 through Saturday, August 11 - Nightly multiple lane closures and intermittent stoppages on I-66 East and West at locations between Route 28 and Blake Lane from 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Up to three 15-minute stoppages between midnight and 4 a.m. each night so crews can remove overhead gantries and signs.
- I-66 West between I-495 and Gallows Road
- Thursday, August 9 and Friday, August 10 - Right lane closure on westbound I-66 between Route 7 and Gallows Road will close on Thursday, August 9, 9:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. and on Friday, August 10, 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. Additionally a single lane on the ramp from northbound I-495 to westbound I-66 and a single lane on the ramp from southbound I-495 to westbound I-66 will closed during overnight hours. This work is needed to shift all lanes between I-495 and Gallows Road toward the inside median.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement weather occurs.
The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes are expected to open in December 2022.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA.
# # #
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.