Dawn Eischen 804-524-6179
March 22, 2012
I-95 NORTH LABURNUM BRIDGE REPLACEMENT NEXT WEEK
Expect overnight delays
COLONIAL HEIGHTS—The I-95 northbound bridge over Laburnum Avenue will be replaced overnight next week as part of the I-95 Bridge Restorations project.
I-95 will be reduced to one travel lane in each direction at the Laburnum Avenue bridge (mile marker 79) nightly Tuesday, March 27 through Thursday, March 29 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., weather permitting. Each night, a crane will remove the existing bridge deck and beams and set pre-cast bridge sections in its place. Workers will then secure the new structure to the previously-restored bridge substructure. Overnight drivers should expect major delays. All travel lanes will reopen by morning rush hour.
During the northbound bridge replacement, I-95 north traffic will merge onto the southbound bridge. Both I-95 north and south traffic will use the southbound bridge to maneuver around the construction. Boulevard drivers will be restricted from accessing I-95 north during the nightly bridge replacements.
VDOT strongly encourages drivers use one of the following alternate routes to bypass the construction.
From I-95 south (Henrico): Access I-295 at exit 84 to reach I-64 east/west or areas south of Richmond; through travelers can use I-295 south to bypass Richmond and re-enter I-95 south at exit 46 in Prince George County.
From I-95 north (Prince George): Access I-295 at exit 46 to reach I-64 east/west or areas north of Richmond; through travelers can use I-295 north to bypass Richmond and re-enter I-95 north at exit 84 in Henrico County.
From I-64 east (Goochland/Henrico): There are three alternate routes:
- Access Route 288 south at exit 175 in Goochland to reach Chesterfield County locations and to re-enter I-95 at exit 62
- Access I-295 at exit 177 to reach I-95 north or I-64 east of Richmond
- Access I-195 south at exit 186 in Richmond to reach downtown destinations, Route 76/Powhite Parkway Extension (toll) through Chesterfield County or the Downtown Expressway (toll).
The following four traffic cameras are available to view traffic conditions during the Laburnum Avenue bridge replacement:
- North of the Laburnum bridge – I-95 at Bellevue Avenue (near exit 80) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300007/index.html?eml=true or
- South of the Laburnum bridge – I-95 just north of Westwood Avenue (near exit 78) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300014/index.html?eml=true or I-95 at Boulevard (exit 78) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300013/index.html?eml=true or I-95 north of Lombardy Street (mile marker 77) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300012/index.html
The final section of the I-95 south bridge over Laburnum Avenue bridge was installed March 9. Once the northbound bridge over Laburnum Avenue is replaced next week, the contractor will begin preparations to replace the southbound bridge over Westwood Avenue in mid-April.
For more information about the I-95 Richmond Bridge Restorations project or to sign up for project updates, visit http://www.i95bridges.org. Anyone with questions about the project can call VDOT’s customer service center at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623).
Real-time listings of road conditions and closures in Virginia are available on VDOT’s 24-hour traffic and travel information website, www.511Virginia.org or by calling 511. Richmond area traffic information is also available on Twitter @511centralVA.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.