Heidi Underwood 540-387-5493
Jan. 17, 2008
WINTRY MIX CREATES SLICK ROADS IN SALEM DISTRICT
Snow plow operators and contractors are focusing their attention on interstates and primary roads and will continue on these routes until the precipitation stops and these routes are plowed and treated.
The 12-county Salem VDOT district includes Bedford, Botetourt, Carroll, Craig, Giles, Floyd, Franklin, Henry, Patrick, Pulaski, Montgomery, Roanoke counties.
VDOT is asking drivers to keep in mind the following tips when driving in winter conditions:
* Make sure your vehicle is winter ready, including at least a half tank full of gas.
* Keep an emergency driving kit in your car and wear your seatbelt.
* Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
* Do not attempt to pass snowplows and stay at least 100 feet behind them.
* Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots and bridges.
* When driving on ice, don’t slam on your brakes. Travel gently. Turn slowly. Brake slowly. Sudden changes can cause your car to spin out of control.
* Don’t park along the street. Snowplow drivers can’t fully clear a road if cars are in their way.
* If possible, avoid unnecessary travel when crews are clearing snow and ice from the roadways.
For updated road condition information across the Commonwealth, drivers can call 511 or go online to www.511Virginia.org. Traffic cameras are available for viewing online at www.trafficland.com.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.