|IMMEDIATE - 6:45 a.m.
Shannon Marshall 804-371-6844, 804-517-2686
Tamara Rollison 804-786-2715
Jan. 24, 2016
VDOT CREWS CONTINUE SNOW REMOVAL OPERATIONS
Check 511virginia.org for road condition updates
RICHMOND – Snow has come to an end across the Commonwealth. However, Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews remain fully engaged in snow removal operations.
Road conditions have improved with most interstates and primary routes in minor to moderate condition. Severe conditions remain in parts of the Northern Virginia, Fredericksburg and Culpeper districts. Motorists are advised to stay off roads not only for safety, but to allow crews to clear snow as efficiently as possible.
What’s good to know now:
- Motorists are urged to stay off roads to give crews space to clear snow and ice.
- Most interstates and primary routes are in minor to moderate condition, and very few roads are closed.
- Most roads are still snow-covered in the Northern Virginia District. Crews are working to clear interstates, major roads and neighborhoods.
- Even though the snow has stopped and dry weather is on the horizon, snow removal will be very extensive through the week.
- During the height of the storm, crews are focused on plowing interstates and primary routes. Once the snow stops and the major roads are in better condition, crews then can focus more on secondary and subdivision streets. Crews are expected to make at least one pass on these roads early next week. Crews have been able to make some passes on many secondary roads this weekend. Even when subdivision streets are plowed, they will be snow and ice covered until the weather gets warm enough to help break up the snow and ice.
- If residents have a serious emergency (i.e. medical or fire), they should call 9-1-1 and VDOT will work in coordination with emergency responders to get them the help they need.
For more information:
If you live in Northern Virginia, visit the online neighborhood tracking map that monitors the status of plowing.
You can also go to 511virginia.org to check the latest road conditions and view a network of 1,000 cameras that show the road conditions.
Visit virginiadot.org for general information on snow removal operations.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.