VDOT News - Statewide
Jenny O’Quinn 804-225-4984, 804-357-6017
Wendy Jenkins 804-371-0253, 804-350-0858
March 18, 2016
VDOT URGES MOTORISTS TO PLAN AHEAD FOR EASTER TRAVEL
Current traffic, road conditions can be found at 511virginia.org
RICHMOND, Va. – Online tools from the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) offer current traffic and road conditions, making travel easier throughout the Easter holiday period and every day.
IMPROVED TRAVEL TIME COVERAGE ON 511
You can find real-time information about traffic, incidents and congestion on Virginia roads at 511Virginia.org. Download the free mobile VDOT 511 app, or call 511. Coverage on the system is expanding, and now includes many U.S. routes in addition to interstate coverage to better help motorists plan travel. To report a road problem or get answers to your transportation questions, call VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) around the clock.
MOST MAJOR WORK ZONES SUSPENDED DURING PEAK HOLIDAY TRAVEL
VDOT will suspend most highway work zones during the Easter holiday to limit congestion and provide as many travel lanes as possible.
VDOT will lift lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia during the following dates and times:
- Noon, Friday March 25 to noon, Tuesday, March 29
NORTHERN VIRGINIA HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLE (HOV) SCHEDULE AND OTHER INFORMATION:
- Normal HOV restrictions and schedule are in effect throughout the Easter holiday period.
Find information on Northern Virginia HOV schedules and Interstate 95 and I-495 express lanes. Drivers need either an E-ZPass Flex (for HOV-3 to ride toll-free) or an E-ZPass to use the express lanes at all times.
HAMPTON ROADS HOV SCHEDULE, TUNNELS AND OTHER INFORMATION:
- I-64/I-264/I-564 HOV diamond lanes – HOV restrictions will be lifted on all HOV diamond lanes on Friday, March 25.
- I-64 reversible lanes − Lanes will operate on the regular schedule with no HOV restrictions on Friday, March 25.
- I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) – Motorists traveling to Virginia Beach are encouraged to use the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT) as an alternative to the HRBT. To Virginia Beach, take I-664 south to the MMMBT. Then take the Portsmouth/Norfolk exit (exit 15A) to I-264 east to Virginia Beach.
- Travel to Outer Banks – Motorists going to the North Carolina Outer Banks should use I-664 and the MMMBT to save time. From I-664 south, take I-64 west to exit 292, Chesapeake Expressway/I-464/Route 17. Keep left to continue to the Chesapeake Expressway (Route 168), and take Nags Head/Great Bridge (exit 291B) to the Outer Banks.
- Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) – Tune to 1680 AM to stay informed on Hampton Roads traffic, travel conditions and construction information.
WORK ZONES AND OTHER TRAFFIC ALERTS
While VDOT will lift most lane closures for holiday travel, motorists may encounter permanent work zones or travel delays in the following locations:
Route 609 – Road closed for widening project. Use detour.
U.S. 501 – Replacing bridge at Route 130 intersection over James River. Traffic controls and flaggers in use.
Route 20 – Replacing bridge over Slate Creek. Speed limit in work zone reduced to 45 mph.
Charles City County
Route 5 – Replacing bridge over Herring Creek. Temporary signal directing traffic.
Route 226 – Replacing bridge 0.3 miles east of U.S. 460. Temporary signal directing traffic.
U.S. 17 − Improving drainage, from just south of Airport Road near June Parker Marina to just north of Marsh Street. Traffic reduced to one lane both directions.
Route 6 – Replacing bridge over Rivanna River. Traffic restricted to one lane controlled by temporary signals.
I-81 – Reconstructing interchange at exit 310. Speed limit through work zone reduced to 60 mph.
U.S. 301 – Replacing southbound bridge over rail tracks north of Emporia. Traffic detoured to I-95.
I-664 at I-64 – Rehabilitating bulkhead at bridge on northbound I-664 flyover ramp to westbound I-64. Prepare for traffic shift to the right lane after Powhatan Parkway (Exit 2).
Isle of Wight County
U.S. 58 – Replacing bridge over rail tracks and Route 632. Follow detour.
I-264 – Right lanes closed both directions between Portsmouth Boulevard and Effingham Street for construction of the new Martin Luther King (MLK) Extension. Two lanes open to traffic.
U.S. 360 – Replacing bridge deck. Traffic limited to two lanes on Mechanicsville Turnpike over I-64, with one travel lane each direction. Ramp from eastbound U.S. 360 to westbound I-64 remains closed. Follow posted detour.
I-581 – Constructing diverging-diamond interchange. Northbound right lane closed from 10th Street to Liberty Road approaching Valley View Mall. Shoulders closed, barricade walls in place.
I-64 – Rehabilitating Maury River bridge. Eastbound traffic will detour across median to westbound lanes between mile markers 53.3 and 55.3. Traffic both directions will use westbound bridge during work on eastbound bridge.
Route 340 – Replacing bridge over South River. Road closed between Constitution Park and East Avenue. Through traffic will use Broad Street (Route 250) as detour.
Route 205 – Replacing bridge on James Monroe Highway over Mattox Creek. Temporary signals directing single traffic lane on bridge.
I-77/I-81 overlap – High traffic volumes could slow or stop vehicles through this eight-mile stretch. Be alert for delays on northbound I-77 at the I-81 merge.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.