Sandy Myers 540-332-9201
March 17, 2006
TRAFFIC ALERT FOR WEEK OF MARCH 20-24, 2006 FOR ROCKINGHAM COUNTY
(NEW) _ Indicates a new or revised entry since last week’s report.
* Exit 243 northbound – Bridge painting on ramp overpass, nighttime operation. Shoulder closure. Single lane traffic may occur. Completion is mid-April, 2006.
* Route 33 (Spotswood Trail) Blue Ridge Mountain – Expect delays due to movement of Coors fermenting tanks to the Elkton facility on Route 340. Beginning Sunday, March 5, tanks will be moved during the early morning hours each Sunday and Wednesday throughout March, with the final convoy scheduled for Sunday, April 2. Route 33 will be intermittently closed until the tanks clear the mountain crossing. Travelers using Route 33 between 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. should us an alternate route on Sundays and Wednesdays while tanks are being transported.
* Route 33 Business (West of Elkton) – Traffic delays on a portion of Route 33 Business just west of Elkton. Through trucks are encouraged to use Route 33 Bypass (Spotswood Trail) to Route 340 (Eastside Highway) to access downtown Elkton. Storm drain installation, utilities, and roadway widening from 0.17 miles to 0.43 miles east of Route 637 (Florist Road). Detour provided. Property owners will be notified in advance of occasional water shutoffs to relocation water main and services. Estimated completion date is April 15, 2006, weather permitting.
*Route 340 (East Side Highway) – Bridge replacement over One Mile Run, located 0.1 mile south of Route 754 (Rocky Bar Road). Traffic control with temporary traffic signal. Road is restricted to 11-foot width. Completion is October 2006.
* Route 649 (Island Ford Road) – Bridge painting over South Fork of Shenandoah River at .5 mile east of Route 650 (Power Dam Road). Single lane traffic seven days a week. Completion is mid-April 2006.
* Route 687 (Massanetta Springs Road) - Expect delays due to sewer line installation at the intersection of Route 688 (Taylor Springs Road). Flaggers will control traffic.
Vegetation management may occur district wide on various routes.
Motorists are reminded to use extreme caution when traveling through work zones. For further information on the location of work zones throughout the state, call the Highway Helpline at 1-800-367-ROAD (TTY users, call 1-800-432-1843). Traffic alerts and traveler information can also be obtained by dialing 511. In areas where 511 is unavailable, dial 1-800-578-4111. (TTY users, call 711). Traffic alerts and traveler information also are available at http://www.511Virginia.org
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.