Helpful Information for Reporters
Here are links to information on Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Web sites, as well as links to sites of outside agencies and organizations.
VDOT Web Sites
- Bridges in Virginia: http://www.virginiadot.org/info/Bridge.asp With information about VDOT’s bridge inspection program and latest conditions reports by district.
- Budget info: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/reports-budget.asp
- Dashboard: http://dashboard.virginiadot.org/default.aspx The agency’s performance reporting system for projects and programs.
- District offices: http://www.virginiadot.org/about/districts.asp With links to offices in each district
- Emergency response: http://www.virginiadot.org/about/emer_response.asp
- Environmental programs: http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/pr-environmental.asp Ensuring the future of Virginia’s natural and historic resources
- Executive team: http://www.virginiadot.org/about/leaders.asp
- 511 Virginia: http://www.511virginia.org/Default.aspx?r=1 The one-stop resource for how to get moving in Virginia. Includes incidents, construction zones and road conditions.
- How a road gets built: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/pr-howroadblt.asp
- News: http://www.virginiadot.org/news/default.asp The latest from VDOT, including news releases and media contacts.
- Organization: http://www.virginiadot.org/about/vdot_organization.asp VDOT’s organization
- Projects and studies: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/default.asp Projects and studies, the future of transportation in Virginia
- Virginia's Highway Safety Challenge: http://www.safevahighways.org/ A partnership begun by VDOT, the Department of Motor Vehicles and the Virginia State Police to improve traffic safety in Virginia and put the brakes on highway fatalities.
- Virginia Transportation Research Council: http://vtrc.virginiadot.org/ VDOT’s research division, located in Charlottesville, is a partnership of VDOT and the University of Virginia (www.virginia.edu). Site includes all research reports for VDOT.
- Six-Year Improvement Program: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/syp-default.asp The Commonwealth Transportation Board (see below) approves this annual plan for projects proposed for construction, development or study in the next six fiscal years.
- Structure and Bridge Division: http://www.virginiadot.org/business/sb_default.asp
Other Agencies and Organizations
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials: https://www.transportation.org A nonprofit, nonpartisan association representing highway and transportation departments throughout the nation
- Commonwealth Transportation Board: http://www.ctb.virginia.gov The group that governs all transportation agencies in Virginia. Meetings are listed at http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/public_meetings/schedule_overview/default.asp.
- Department of Motor Vehicles: http://www.dmvnow.com
- Department of Rail and Public Transportation: http://www.drpt.virginia.gov
- Federal Highway Administration: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov
- Transportation Research Board: www.trb.org One of six major divisions of the National Research Council, which is jointly run by the National Academies of Sciences and Engineering and the Institute of Medicine
- U. S. Department of Transportation: http://www.dot.gov
- Virginia Tourism Corporation: http://www.virginia.org
Page last modified: May 9, 2019