Bicycling and walking in Virginia
Implementation guidance documents for localities
On Jan. 23, 2007, a letter from Richard Walton, chief of policy, planning, and the environment for the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) was sent to the chief administrative officer of every locality in Virginia.
The letter explains VDOT’s efforts to implement the “Policy for Integrating Bicycle and Pedestrian Accommodations” and discusses the updated procedures and best practices developed by VDOT’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Policy Implementation Team.
A number of documents are referenced in the letter, including::
- Guidelines for coordinating with localities
- Planning level cost estimates
- Updated construction and maintenance scoping forms
The letter and supporting documents are below.
- Letter (125 KB)
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Implementation Guide for locality involvement (60 KB)
- Bicycle and pedestrian decision process and exceptions (40 KB)
- Example planning level cost estimates for bicycle facilities (65 KB)
- Construction Project Scoping Form LD-430 (136 KB)
- Maintenance Project Scoping Form AM-430 (126 KB)
- Maintenance Division Best Practices Manual BP 4.10 (10 KB)
- Maintenance Division Best Practices Manual BP 12.5 (20 KB)
- Maintenance Division Best Practices Manual BP 12.9 (56 KB)
- VDOT district bicycle and pedestrian coordinators (20 KB)