Environment - Coalfields Expressway
Strict environmental oversight measures will be enforced during construction of the Coalfields Expressway and Corridor Q. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), in conjunction with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), will ensure compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements, including, but not limited to:
- Clean Air Act, as amended, 42 U.S.C. 1857 PL 95-95
- Virginia Air Pollution Control Law
- Federal Highway Administration’s Noise Regulations, 23 CFR Part 772
- State Noise Abatement Policy
- National Historic Preservation Act,16 U.S.C. 470f
- Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, 16 U.S.C. 470f; 36 CFR Part 800; 36 CFR Part 60; 36 CFR Part 63
- Section 4(f), 23 CFR Part 774
- Endangered Species Act, 1973, as amended, 16 U.S.C. 1531-1544
- Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, State Endangered and Threatened Fish and Wildlife, Code of Virginia, 29.1-564
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976 (RCRA), 40 CFR Part 260 et seq.
- Hazardous and Solid Waste Amendments (HSWA) of 1984
- Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) 40 CFR Part 761
- Virginia Solid Waste Management Regulations, 9 VAC 20-80 et seq.
- Virginia Hazardous Waste Management Regulations, 9 VAC 25-31-10 et seq. and 9 VAC 25-260 et seq.
- Clean Water Act, 33 U.S.C. 1251-1376
- Virginia Water Control Board Regulations, 9 VAC 25-91-10 et seq. and 25-280-10 et seq.
- Virginia General Permit, Code of Virginia, 28.2-103 and 28.2-1203
- Virginia Water Protection Permit Regulations, Title 62.1-44.15.5
- Virginia Stormwater Management Program
- Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Law and Regulations, Code of Virginia, 10.1-561 et seq.
Coal extraction associated with the project will be inspected regularly by the state’s Division of Mined Land Reclamation.
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement
- Final Environmental Impact Statement
- Location Study Report (73 MB)
- Traffic Analysis Summary
- 2020 No-Build Options
- Traffic Data
- Noise Addendum
- Draft Hydrologic/Hydraulic (38 MB)
- Natural Resources (6 MB)
- Economic Development
- Right of Way
- Hazmat (4 MB)
- Record of Decision
- Reevaluation of Final Environmental Impact Stateme
Section I (Pound Connector)
- Environmental assessment June 13, 2012
Section III A (Hawks Nest)
- Re-evaluation, signed by FHWA March 26, 2008
o Cultural resource management summary
- CTB action, June 19, 2008 - CTB resolution
Section III C (Rockhouse)
- Re-evaluation signed by FHWA, Oct. 29, 2008
- Cultural resource technical reports
- CTB action, Feb. 5, 2009 - CTB resolution