Interstate 81 Exit 14 ramp improvements and bridge reconstruction
Est Completion Date
W-L Construction and Paving Inc., Chilhowie, Virginia
John Dew, P.E., Area Construction Engineer
What's Happening Now?
Reconstruction of Interstate 81 exit 14 has been completed.
W-L Construction and Paving, Inc., Chilhowie, was awarded the contract to reconstruct the I-81 Exit 14 interchange in late 2015 and work began January 2016. The majority of work wrapped up in late October 2018.
The project included:
- reconstruction of I-81 before and after the interchange
- replace the I-81 bridges over Route 647 (Old Jonesboro Road)
- reconstruction of the on and off ramps at Exit 14
- reconstruction of Jonesboro Road to provide two through lanes in each direction with a raised median and dual left turn lanes for the I-81 northbound entrance ramp
- Installation of two traffic signals where I-81 ramps intersect with Jonesboro Road
- construct a retaining wall between I-81 and a portion of Dennison Drive
View the roadway design here.