In Design: Albemarle County Design-Build Projects (6)
Design-Build Contract Awarded at July CTB Meeting
Curtis Contracting, Inc. of West Point was awarded the $28.5 million design-build contract by the Commonwealth Transportation Board at its July 17, 2019 meeting. Curtis Contracting is partnering with Wallace Montgomery, which will provide design services for the project.
Project Overview Video
1. Interstate 64 at exit 118 Interchange Modifications:
This project involves eliminating the loop ramp from southbound Route 29 to eastbound I-64. A dual left-turn lane and a connection to the existing ramp from southbound Route 29 to eastbound I-64 will be constructed. This modification will eliminate two weave movements that have been identified as a factor in many crashes.
Project Cost: $1 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $265,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $0
- Construction: $735,000
2. Interstate 64 at exit 124 Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI):
This project will build a diverging diamond interchange (DDI) on Route 250 and make other low-cost improvements for safety and congestion relief. The work also includes ramp improvements, new signals and signal upgrades, drainage improvements and utility relocations.
By shifting vehicles to the opposite side of the road, this design eliminates traditional left turns that cross over oncoming traffic.
The DDI improves safety by reducing the number of spots where vehicles could collide and can handle more than 600 left-turn movements per hour, twice the capacity of a conventional interchange.
Virginia’s first DDI opened in 2014 at the I-64/Route 15 interchange at Zion Crossroads in Louisa County.
Project Cost: $18.4 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $2.3 million
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $1.1 million
- Construction: $15 million
(The two simulation videos below run at 2x real-time speed)
3. Fontaine Avenue Ramp Improvements:
This project involves adding an option lane—through/right-merge lane—at the Fontaine Avenue exit from northbound Route 29. The project will ease current weaving issues and remove conflict points.
Project Cost: $2.9 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $600,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $300,000
- Construction: $2 million
4. Construction of Roundabout at Route 250 and Route 151:
The intersection of Route 250 (Rockfish Gap Turnpike) and Route 151 (Critzers Shop Road) in Afton, near the Nelson County line, will be reconstructed as a roundabout.
In recent years there have been an increasing number of crashes at this intersection. This project will improve operations and safety at the busy intersection while managing traffic speeds and correcting geometric deficiencies that have been identified as contributing factors in crashes at the intersection.
A temporary signal was installed in April 2017 as an intermediate measure. Advance warning flashers and inlane rumble strips have also been installed on the downhill eastbound Route 250 approach to slow traffic.
Project Cost: $5.8 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $950,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $850,000
- Construction: $4 million
5. Construction of Roundabout at Route 20 and Route 649:
This project will convert the intersection of Route 20 (Stony Point Road), Route 649 (Proffit Road) and Route 1494 (Riggory Ridge Road) to a single-lane roundabout to improve safety and traffic flow.
Project Cost: $4 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $700,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $1 million
- Construction: $2.3 million
6. Rio Mills Road/Berkmar Drive Connection:
This project will construct a quarter-mile, two-lane road to connect Rio Mills Road to the recently completed Berkmar Drive Extended. The work will include bike lanes and a shared-use path that connects to the bicycle and pedestrian facilities on Berkmar Drive Extended.
Project Cost: $3.8 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $850,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $500,000
- Construction: $2.45 million
VDOT has combined six projects in Albemarle County into one design-build package. One contractor will be selected to both complete the final design and construct all six projects.
Request For Qualifications Released: July 11, 2018
Public hearings: October 9,10,11, 2018
Public comment period ends: October 21, 2018
Release Request for Proposals: Anticipated late October 2018
Technical Proposals Due: Anticipated April 2019
Price Proposals Due: Anticipated June 2019
Design-Build contract award: Summer 2019
Construction completion: Spring 2023
Project schedule is subject to change.
Public hearing materials: October 9-11, 2018
Public hearing displays:
Phase: In Design