Albemarle County Design-Build Projects (6)I-64 at exit 118 interchange improvements, I-64 at exit 124 diverging diamond interchange, Fontaine Avenue exit ramp improvements, Route 250/151 roundabout, Route 20/649/1494 roundabout, Rio Mills connector road
VDOT held public hearings on the major design features of six design-build projects in Albemarle County on Oct. 9 and 10.
VDOT is reviewing public feedback received at the public hearings and during the public comment period and incorporating suggested modifications into the design, as needed.
Information about each of the projects contained in the design-build package is provided below along with the project cost and tentative schedule.
One contractor will be selected to complete the final design and construct each project.
A Request for Qualifications (RFQ) was advertised in mid-July 2018 to solicit design-build offerors interested in the project. In late October 2018, three shortlisted offerors will be asked to submit proposals for final design, along with acquisition and construction services.
The shortlisted teams are:
- Branch / WRA
- Curtis / Wallace Montgomery
- Faulconer / RK&K
The three offerors were selected from among six that submitted statements of qualifications in response to the agency’s Request for Qualifications.
VDOT expects to award a design-build contract in summer 2019.
Project Overview Video
1. Interstate 64 at exit 118 Interchange Modifications:
This project involves eliminating the loop ramp from southbound Route 29 to eastbound I-64. A dual left-turn lane and a connection to the existing ramp from northbound Route 29 to eastbound I-64 will be constructed. This modification will eliminate two weave movements that have been identified as a factor in many crashes.
Project Cost: $1 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $265,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $0
- Construction: $735,000
2. Interstate 64 at exit 124 Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI):
This project will build a diverging diamond interchange (DDI) on Route 250 and make other low-cost improvements for safety and congestion relief. The work also includes ramp improvements, new signals and signal upgrades, drainage improvements and utility relocations.
By shifting vehicles to the opposite side of the road, this design eliminates traditional left turns that cross over oncoming traffic.
The DDI improves safety by reducing the number of spots where vehicles could collide and can handle more than 600 left-turn movements per hour, twice the capacity of a conventional interchange.
Virginia’s first DDI opened in 2014 at the I-64/Route 15 interchange at Zion Crossroads in Louisa County.
Project Cost: $18.4 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $2.3 million
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $1.1 million
- Construction: $15 million
(The two simulation videos below run at 2x real-time speed)
3. Fontaine Avenue Ramp Improvements:
This project involves adding an option lane—through/right-merge lane—at the Fontaine Avenue exit from northbound Route 29. The project will ease current weaving issues and remove conflict points.
Project Cost: $2.9 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $600,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $300,000
- Construction: $2 million
4. Construction of Roundabout at Route 250 and Route 151:
The intersection of Route 250 (Rockfish Gap Turnpike) and Route 151 (Critzers Shop Road) in Afton, near the Nelson County line, will be reconstructed as a roundabout.
In recent years there have been an increasing number of crashes at this intersection. This project will improve operations and safety at the busy intersection while managing traffic speeds and correcting geometric deficiencies that have been identified as contributing factors in crashes at the intersection.
A temporary signal was installed in April 2017 as an intermediate measure. Advance warning flashers and inlane rumble strips have also been installed on the downhill eastbound Route 250 approach to slow traffic.
Project Cost: $5.8 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $950,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $850,000
- Construction: $4 million
5. Construction of Roundabout at Route 20 and Route 649:
This project will convert the intersection of Route 20 (Stony Point Road), Route 649 (Proffit Road) and Route 1494 (Riggory Ridge Road) to a single-lane roundabout to improve safety and traffic flow.
Project Cost: $4 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $700,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $1 million
- Construction: $2.3 million
6. Rio Mills Road/Berkmar Drive Connection:
This project will construct a quarter-mile, two-lane road to connect Rio Mills Road to the recently completed Berkmar Drive Extended. The work will include a sidewalk and shared-use path that connects to the bicycle and pedestrian facilities on Berkmar Drive Extended.
Project Cost: $3.8 million
- Engineering of Roadway Plans: $850,000
- Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $500,000
- Construction: $2.45 million
Total Project Cost
The total cost of the six projects is $35.9 million. Costs by project phase are:
Engineering of Roadway Plans: $5.7 million
Right of Way Acquisition, Relocation Assistance and Utility Relocation: $3.7 million
Construction: $26.5 million
Cost is subject to change.
Request For Qualifications Released: July 11, 2018
Public hearings: October 9,10,11, 2018
Public comment period ends: October 21, 2018
Release Request for Proposals: Anticipated late October 2018
Technical Proposals Due: Anticipated April 2019
Price Proposals Due: Anticipated May 2019
Design-Build contract award: Summer 2019
Construction completion: Spring 2023
Project schedule is subject to change.
Resources and Information
Public hearing materials: October 9-11, 2018
Public hearing displays:
- Interstate 64 at exit 118 (2 MB)
- Interstate 64 at exit 124 (2 MB)
- Fontaine Avenue Ramp Improvements (2 MB)
- Roundabout at Route 250/151 (1 MB)
- Roundabout at Route 20/649/1494 (1 MB)
- Rio Mills Road/Berkmar Drive Connection (971 KB)
- Rio Mills Road/Berkmar Drive Typical Section (379 (KB)
Albemarle Design-Build Public Hearings Oct. 9-11
News release, Sept. 28, 2018