Bridge Maintenance Projects
Project at a Glance
Albemarle, Culpeper, Fauquier, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock
Route 622 (Rock Mills Road) over Covington River, Rappahannock County
VDOT will close the Route 622 bridge over the Covington River in Rappahannock County July 5 to Sept. 2 for rehabilitation work. (The original reopen date was July 28, but was pushed back due to worse-than-anticipated conditions found on one bridge abutment, requiring it to be replaced.)
The structurally-deficient bridge is located about 1.5 miles east of Route 211/522 (Lee Highway) and 0.5 mile west of Route 621 (Hunters Road).
A posted detour will direct westbound motorists north on Route 621, then left on Route 626 (Tiger Valley Road), and then left on Route 211/522 south, which carries traffic back to Route 622. Eastbound motorists will reverse the detour. During the closure, access to all driveway entrances will be maintained for local traffic.
A VDOT crew will replace the 1976 bridge’s existing timber deck with a concrete slab. The work also involves repairs to the bridge’s abutments and the surrounding embankments.
Message boards will be in place to notify the public of the closure and any weather-related schedule adjustments.
Route 652 (Academy Road) over North Creek, Fluvanna County
A short segment of Route 652 (Academy Road) in Fluvanna County will be closed for eight weeks, beginning July 25, while a VDOT crew rehabilitates the structurally deficient bridge over North Creek.
Route 652 will be closed between Route 654 (Cloverdale Road) and 0.5 mile east of Route 15 (James Madison Highway) in Fork Union. Motorists should use alternate routes during the closure. Weather permitting, the road is expected to reopen to traffic Sept. 16.
The bridge, which was built in 1976, is currently posted with an 11-ton weight limit. After rehabilitation, it will be capable of carrying all legal loads. Approximately 220 vehicles use this route daily, according to a 2014 traffic count.
Signs are in place to notify the public of the closure.
Route 639 (Jacksontown Road) over Norfolk Southern Railway, Orange County
The Route 639 bridge over Norfolk Southern Railway in Orange County will be closed for four weeks, beginning Aug. 22, while a VDOT crew replaces the timber deck. Weather permitting, the road is expected to reopen to traffic Sept. 16.
Beginning at 8 a.m., the road will be closed at the bridge, which is located between Route 20 (Constitution Highway) and Route 655 (Jacksontown Road). Southbound traffic will be detoured west on Route 20, then south on Route 231 (Blue Ridge Turnpike), and then east on Route 655, which carries traffic back to Route 639. Northbound motorists will reverse the detour during the closure.
The 71 year-old bridge carries approximately 440 vehicles daily, according to a 2014 traffic count. Message boards and signs are in place to notify the public of the closure and detour route.
Bridge projects under construction on primary routes include:
- Fauquier County: Rehabilitating Route 245 (Old Tavern Road) bridge over Broad Run
- Fluvanna County: Replacing Route 6 (East River Road)bridge over Rivanna River
- Madison County: Rehabilitating Route 230 (Wolftown-Hood Road) bridge over Conway River
- Rappahannock County: Rehabilitating Route 522 (Zachary Taylor Highway) bridge over Wilson Branch
The following small bridge and structure rehabilitation projects are planned through June 2017. Projects will be scheduled according to priority as weather and resources allow.
- Albemarle County: Route 606 (Dickerson Road) bridge over North Fork Rivanna River
- Albemarle County: Route 717 (Secretarys Sand Road) bridge over South Fork Hardware River
- Albemarle County: Route 723 (Sharon Road) culvert at Green Creek
- Albemarle County: Route 795 (Blenheim Road) bridge over Hardware River
- Albemarle County: Route 810 (Blackwells Hollow Road) bridge over Halls Creek
- Culpeper County: Route 685 (Fleetwood Heights Road) bridge over Flat Run
- Fauquier County: Route 702 (Frogtown Road) bridge over Cromwells Run
- Fauquier County: Route 787 (Watery Mountain Road) bridge over Cedar Run
- Fluvanna County: Route 629 (Deep Creek Road) bridge over Phils Creek
- Louisa County: Route 609 (Buckner Road) bridge over Long Creek
- Orange County: Route 639 (Jacksontown Road) bridge over Norfolk Southern Railway
- Rappahannock County: Route 628 (Fodderstack Road) bridge over Rush River
The following replacement projects are planned through June 2017 and will be scheduled according to priority as weather and resources allow.
- Orange County: Route 609 (Scuffletown Road) culvert at unnamed stream
- Rappahannock County: Route 681 (Rolling Road) culvert at Branch of Hazel River
For more information about Virginia’s bridges and VDOT’s bridge inspection program, including current conditions of the state’s bridges, FAQs and video of a bridge inspection, visit www.virginiadot.org/info/Bridge.asp.