Bridge Maintenance Projects
Project at a Glance
Albemarle, Culpeper, Fauquier, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock
Route 685 (Fleetwood Heights Road) over Flat Run, Culpeper County
The Route 685 bridge over Flat Run in Culpeper County will be closed beginning Nov. 14 while VDOT rehabilitates the bridge. Weather permitting, the road is expected to reopen to traffic Dec. 23.
The road will be closed at the bridge, which is located between Route 663 (Alanthus Road) and Route 676 (Beverly Ford Road). Drivers west of the bridge should use Route 663 to Route 15/29 (James Madison Highway) and turn left on Route 676, which carries traffic back to Route 685. Motorists on the east side of the bridge should reverse the detour.
The bridge, originally constructed in 1933, carries approximately 870 vehicles daily, according to a 2014 traffic count.
Bridge projects under construction on primary routes include:
- Fauquier County: Rehabilitating Route 245 (Old Tavern Road) bridge over Broad Run
- Fluvanna County: Replacing Route 6 (East River Road)bridge over Rivanna River
- Madison County: Rehabilitating Route 230 (Wolftown-Hood Road) bridge over Conway River
- Rappahannock County: Rehabilitating Route 522 (Zachary Taylor Highway) bridge over Wilson Branch
The following small bridge and structure rehabilitation projects are planned through June 2017. Projects will be scheduled according to priority as weather and resources allow.
- Albemarle County: Route 606 (Dickerson Road) bridge over North Fork Rivanna River
- Albemarle County: Route 717 (Secretarys Sand Road) bridge over South Fork Hardware River
- Albemarle County: Route 723 (Sharon Road) culvert at Green Creek
- Albemarle County: Route 795 (Blenheim Road) bridge over Hardware River
- Albemarle County: Route 810 (Blackwells Hollow Road) bridge over Halls Creek
- Fauquier County: Route 702 (Frogtown Road) bridge over Cromwells Run
- Fauquier County: Route 787 (Watery Mountain Road) bridge over Cedar Run
- Fluvanna County: Route 629 (Deep Creek Road) bridge over Phils Creek
The following replacement projects are planned through June 2017 and will be scheduled according to priority as weather and resources allow.
- Orange County: Route 609 (Scuffletown Road) culvert at unnamed stream
- Rappahannock County: Route 681 (Rolling Road) culvert at Branch of Hazel River
For more information about Virginia’s bridges and VDOT’s bridge inspection program, including current conditions of the state’s bridges, FAQs and video of a bridge inspection, visit www.virginiadot.org/info/Bridge.asp.