Bridge Maintenance Projects
Project at a Glance
Albemarle, Culpeper, Fauquier, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock
Route 609 (Buckner Road) over Long Creek, Louisa County
The Route 609 bridge over Long Creek in Louisa County will be closed beginning Sept. 26 while VDOT replaces the bridge. Weather permitting, the road is expected to reopen to traffic Nov. 18.
The road will be closed at the bridge, which is located between Route 648 (Jouett School Road) and Route 612 (Halls Store Road). Southbound traffic will be detoured west on Route 612 to Route 33 (Jefferson Highway), and then east on Route 648, which carries traffic back to Route 609. Northbound motorists will reverse the detour during the closure.
The bridge, originally constructed in 1965, carries approximately 585 vehicles daily, according to a 2014 traffic count.
Route 628 (Fodderstack Road) over Rush River, Rappahannock County
The Route 628 bridge over Rush River in Rappahannock County will be closed beginning Oct. 17 while VDOT replaces the bridge. Weather permitting, the road is expected to reopen to traffic Nov. 11.
The road will be closed at the bridge, which is located 0.4 north of Route 1101 (Gay Street) and 3.8 miles from Route 606 (Fodderstack Road). Northbound motorists will be detoured east on Route 211 Business (Warren Avenue), then left on Route 211 (Lee Highway) and left on Route 522 (Zachary Taylor Highway), which carries traffic back to Fodderstack Road.
The bridge, originally constructed in 1958, carries approximately 334 vehicles daily, according to a 2014 traffic count.
Bridge projects under construction on primary routes include:
- Fauquier County: Rehabilitating Route 245 (Old Tavern Road) bridge over Broad Run
- Fluvanna County: Replacing Route 6 (East River Road)bridge over Rivanna River
- Madison County: Rehabilitating Route 230 (Wolftown-Hood Road) bridge over Conway River
- Rappahannock County: Rehabilitating Route 522 (Zachary Taylor Highway) bridge over Wilson Branch
The following small bridge and structure rehabilitation projects are planned through June 2017. Projects will be scheduled according to priority as weather and resources allow.
- Albemarle County: Route 606 (Dickerson Road) bridge over North Fork Rivanna River
- Albemarle County: Route 717 (Secretarys Sand Road) bridge over South Fork Hardware River
- Albemarle County: Route 723 (Sharon Road) culvert at Green Creek
- Albemarle County: Route 795 (Blenheim Road) bridge over Hardware River
- Albemarle County: Route 810 (Blackwells Hollow Road) bridge over Halls Creek
- Culpeper County: Route 685 (Fleetwood Heights Road) bridge over Flat Run
- Fauquier County: Route 702 (Frogtown Road) bridge over Cromwells Run
- Fauquier County: Route 787 (Watery Mountain Road) bridge over Cedar Run
- Fluvanna County: Route 629 (Deep Creek Road) bridge over Phils Creek
The following replacement projects are planned through June 2017 and will be scheduled according to priority as weather and resources allow.
- Orange County: Route 609 (Scuffletown Road) culvert at unnamed stream
- Rappahannock County: Route 681 (Rolling Road) culvert at Branch of Hazel River
For more information about Virginia’s bridges and VDOT’s bridge inspection program, including current conditions of the state’s bridges, FAQs and video of a bridge inspection, visit www.virginiadot.org/info/Bridge.asp.