Bridge Maintenance Projects
Project at a Glance
Albemarle, Culpeper, Fauquier, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock
Route 787 (Watery Mountain Road) over Cedar Run, Fauquier County
The Route 787 bridge over Cedar Run in Fauquier County will be reduced to one lane beginning Jan. 9, while VDOT replaces the superstructure. Weather permitting, the road is expected to reopen to traffic March 3.
To accommodate local traffic on the dead-end road, the project will be completed in phases to maintain a single 10-foot travel lane. Traffic will be controlled by flagging.
A full one-day closure of the bridge, located 400-feet from Route 17 (James Madison Highway), is expected to remove the existing superstructure and place the new superstructure. A date for the full closure has not yet been scheduled.
The bridge, originally constructed in 1953, carries approximately 130 vehicles daily, according to a 2015 traffic count.
Bridge projects under construction on primary routes include:
- Fauquier County: Rehabilitating Route 245 (Old Tavern Road) bridge over Broad Run
- Madison County: Rehabilitating Route 230 (Wolftown-Hood Road) bridge over Conway River
The following small bridge and structure rehabilitation projects are planned through June 2017. Projects will be scheduled according to priority as weather and resources allow.
- Albemarle County: Route 606 (Dickerson Road) bridge over North Fork Rivanna River
- Albemarle County: Route 717 (Secretarys Sand Road) bridge over South Fork Hardware River
- Albemarle County: Route 723 (Sharon Road) culvert at Green Creek
- Albemarle County: Route 795 (Blenheim Road) bridge over Hardware River
- Albemarle County: Route 810 (Blackwells Hollow Road) bridge over Halls Creek
- Fauquier County: Route 702 (Frogtown Road) bridge over Cromwells Run
- Fluvanna County: Route 629 (Deep Creek Road) bridge over Phils Creek
The following replacement projects are planned through June 2017 and will be scheduled according to priority as weather and resources allow.
- Orange County: Route 609 (Scuffletown Road) culvert at unnamed stream
- Rappahannock County: Route 681 (Rolling Road) culvert at Branch of Hazel River
For more information about Virginia’s bridges and VDOT’s bridge inspection program, including current conditions of the state’s bridges, FAQs and video of a bridge inspection, visit www.virginiadot.org/info/Bridge.asp.