Route 17 Gloucester Point Road Widening
Project at a Glance
Branscome, Inc., Williamsburg
Kelly Hannon, Communications Manager
• Update presentations to Board of Supervisors.
• 02/22/10: Farmwood Road (Rt. 1237) will be closed for approximately 30 days beginning Monday, March 1. This closure, originally scheduled to take place February 1, was delayed due to inclement weather. The southern entrance to Gloucester Point Shopping Center will also be closed to traffic as a result of this work. Motorists should use the shopping center entrances located off of Rt. 17.
• 04/28/09: New traffic pattern to begin this week. Both north and southbound traffic on Rt. 17 at Gloucester Point will shift to a new alignment to begin Phase 1 of the project.
• 03/25/09: A Public Information Meeting to be held about this project on Monday, 04/06/09.
• 03/25/09: Construction of temporary travel lane to begin at Gloucester Point.
• 03/05/09: In an ongoing effort to improve traffic flow along Route 17 at the base of the Coleman Bridge, VDOT will be restoring the center turn lane to accommodate turning vehicles.
About The Project
The purpose of this project is to install a raised median on Route 17 in Gloucester County and to add a continuous right turn throughout the project area.
The project begins just north of the toll booth on the George P. Coleman Bridge and continues north on Route 17 for 0.664 miles.
The project consists of road widening, drainage, underground utilities, curb and gutter, and the installation of a 16’ raised median.
The project will be constructed in three phases. Phase I is scheduled to be completed in the spring of 2010. Check this page for future updates.
All Lanes Open to Traffic in Project Limits
Project Nears Completion click here for more details.