Route 1, Route 17 Business, and Route 218 (Butler Road)
|Falmouth Intersection Improvement Project|
Project at a Glance
This project will reduce the average wait time for drivers at the intersection of Route 1, Route 17, and Route 218 (Butler Road) in Stafford County.
The intersection is being widened to make room for construction of new turn lanes and through lanes.
With more capacity for vehicles to pass through the intersection on each traffic signal cycle, the delay for motorists will be reduced.
Tavares Concrete began construction in March 2014. Construction remains underway at the intersection.
VDOT understands the importance of keeping traffic moving during construction, since Route 1 is the alternate route to Interstate 95.
Working with the contractor, VDOT is balancing construction work and traffic flow, especially at peak travel times on weekdays and weekends.
The intersection is being widened, which will allow some of the new lanes to be built outside of the existing intersection footprint, which minimizes impacts to drivers.
Construction is expected to end in September 2015.
Additional Project Details
- Ornamental landscaping, shrubbery and signs will be added in the project’s area as a beautification effort.
- Sidewalks will be constructed to accommodate pedestrian traffic.
- The public will notice a substantially reduced wait, on average, at the intersection.
- If nothing was done, the average wait time at the intersection was projected to be 234 seconds in 2016. By 2036, the average wait would have grown to 505 seconds.
- With the planned improvements, drivers will wait an average of 56 seconds in 2016, under 1 minute, and an average of 140 seconds in 2036. With the improvements, the average delay in 2036 is projected to be shorter than it is today.
- Federal funds will pay for 80 percent of the project cost.
- A 2009 VDOT traffic count found an average of 20,300 vehicles a day travel through the intersection. Trucks represented 8 percent of the vehicle traffic.
Click Here to see the plan sheet of the intersection and its new lane assignments.
The Virginia Department of Transportation held a public hearing on the project's final design in January 2011. Please click here to view a copy of the hearing brochure.
Pardon Our Dust Meeting: Monday, March 3, 2014
3/2/2014 UPDATE: Due to the weather forecast, the project's "Pardon Our Dust" meeting has been re-scheduled to March 10, 2014. The meeting was originally scheduled for Monday, March 3, 2014.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) invites the public to attend a “Pardon Our Dust” meeting on Monday, March 10, 2014, to learn more about upcoming construction plans for improvements at the Falmouth intersection in Stafford County.
“Pardon Our Dust” Meeting
Monday, March 10, 2014
VDOT Fredericksburg District Auditorium
86 Deacon Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22405
Stop by anytime between 5-7 p.m. to meet the VDOT construction team and contractor, view construction plans and maps, and ask questions.
A brief presentation on the project will be delivered at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.