Tropical Storm Michael Emergency Road Repairs
|Reconstruction and repair continues on seven roads in the Fredericksburg area, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula|
Est Completion Date
King William, Northumberland, and Westmoreland
March 2019 Update
The Virginia Department of Transportation continues long-term repair work to rebuild state-maintained roads that sustained severe damage during Tropical Storm Michael.
More than 100 state-maintained roads have reopened in VDOT’s Fredericksburg District following Tropical Storm Michael, but six roads remain closed. These roads require major reconstruction or replacement of pipes and culverts before they can safely be reopened. Emergency procurement methods are being used to expedite repairs.
Estimated construction schedules for the remaining closed roads in Fredericksburg District are listed below:
- Route 642 (Knights Run Road): Expected to reopen during the week of April 1-5, 2019. While the road was anticipated to reopen in mid-March, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has extended the project by another week to finish paving the road’s travel surface. Crews have replaced two 60-inch drainage pipes on Knights Run Road with two 72-inch reinforced concrete drainage pipes.
- Route 201 (Courthouse Road): Anticipated to reopen in June 2019. Crews are replacing a damaged set of four 96-inch drainage pipes with a triple set of concrete box culverts, with each culvert measuring 12 feet by 10 feet. Due to their size, the replacement culverts were specially fabricated to these dimensions. The new culverts arrived on site in early March, and crews are in the process of moving them into place.
- Route 634 (Spring Road): Anticipated to reopen in July 2019. Crews are repairing the bridge and replacing a washed out section of road. The contractor has mobilized and grading work has begun. The project will first repair the road up to the bridge, followed by bridge deck repair.
King William County
- Route 662 (Sharon Road): Anticipated to reopen in August 2019. Crews are reconstructing a slope near the road and repairing the culvert.
- Route 612 (Antioch Road): Anticipated to reopen to traffic in April 2019, but repairs will continue on site through July 2019. Crews are repairing a void underneath the road and replacing a washed out section of road.
- Route 600 (Nomini Grove Road): Anticipated to reopen in August 2019. Crews are repairing a void underneath the road and replacing a washed out section of road.
Motorists are reminded to adhere to all road closed signs and barricades, and to follow the posted detour route. Roads have been closed for traveler safety.