Virginia Capital Trail
Richmond Riverfront Phase
The Canal Walk in Richmond will serve as the end point for the Virginia Capital Trail. It will connect the Trail with the canal and the retail and residential areas located in historic Shockoe Bottom along the James River. Take a 360 degree panoramic tour of the Richmond Riverfront phase here.
This phase is divided into three sections:
- A one-mile segment from Canal Walk to the Great Ship Lock
- A three-quarter-mile segment from Great Ship Lock Park to Intermediate Terminal
- The Trail will go through the Echo Harbour development and be financed by the private sector
- A one mile segment from the Lehigh Cement plan extends through the Rockett's Landing development
- The City of Richmond is financing the portion located within the city limits and the portion located within Rockett's Landing will be financed by the private sector
Cost: The City of Richmond estimates the cost to design and construct Section One and their portion of Section Three to be $3.0 million. The cost to design and construct Phase Two and the portion of Phase Three located within Rockett's Landing will be financed by the private developers of Echo Harbour and Rockett's Landing respectively.
Status: Section one was completed in January 2010. Sections two and three expected to be completed in 2014.