I-395 Express Lanes Extension
|Turkeycock Run Interchange to the vicinity of Eads Street in Arlington County|
Project at a Glance
Note: A public information meeting was held Dec. 1 and a design public hearing was held Nov. 30.
About the Project
This project will extend the 395 Express Lanes for eight miles north from Turkeycock Run near Edsall Road to the vicinity of Eads Street in Arlington.
The two existing HOV lanes (or High Occupancy Toll) lanes will be converted to express lanes and a third lane will be added, providing three reversible express lanes.
The improvements primarily will be built within the existing footprint of the I-395 HOV lanes.
In November 2015, the Commonwealth signed a Framework Agreement, establishing that the 395 Express Lanes extension will be done by Transurban under the current 95 Express Lanes Comprehensive Agreement with VDOT.
There will be a dedicated annual payment by Transurban for transit services and multimodal strategies identified in a study led by Virginia’s Department of Rail and Public Transportation.
Vehicles with three or more people can use the express lanes for free, while vehicles with fewer than three people can choose to pay a variable toll and use the express lanes.
Construction is expected to begin in 2017, with the new extended lanes opening in 2019.
- Extending express lanes to the vicinity of Eads Street
- Providing new travel options for single-occupant drivers
- Installing an active traffic management system to keep traffic moving
- Providing sound walls for nearby neighborhoods
- Improving connections between the I-395 Express Lanes and Eads Street
- Providing dedicated annual funding for transit
Public Outreach: Ongoing
Prepare Environmental Document: 2016
Multimodal Study: 2016
Public Information Meetings: Spring 2016
Public Hearings: Fall 2016
Begin Construction: 2017
Estimated project completion: 2019
Design Public Hearings were held October 24 and October 26, 2016.
Public Information Meetings were held April 11 and April 13, 2016.
NEPA Materials (2016)
Environmental Assessment (Sept. 2016)
- Air Quality Analysis Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Alternatives Analysis Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Cultural Resources Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Hazardous Materials Technical Memorandum (Sept. 2016)
- Indirect & Cumulative Effects Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Natural Resources Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Right of Way Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Socioeconomics & Land Use Technical Report (Sept. 2016)
- Traffic & Transportation Technical Report: 1 2 3 4 5 6 (Sept. 2016)
- Noise Analysis Technical Report: 1 2 3 4 (Aug. 2016)
Hard copies of these reports are available at the following locations:
- Arlington Central Library
1015 N Quincy Street
Arlington, VA 22201
- Beatley Central Library
5005 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22304
VDOT Meetings with HOAs (Nov. 2016)
I-95/I-395 Transit/TDM Plan Study Overview (Sept. 2016)
Presentation to Fairlington Citizens Association (Sept. 2016)
Presentation from Elected Officials and Media Briefing (March 2016)
Express Lanes Corridor Map
Project Brochure (Jan. 2016)
Noise Report (June 2013)
Noise Report (Jan. 2013)
Fundamentals of Traffic Noise Presentation (2013)
Design Public Hearings Display Boards and Comment Sheet (Sept. 2011)