Interstate 395 Express Lanes Extension
|Turkeycock Run Interchange to the vicinity of Eads Street in Arlington County|
Project at a Glance
Construction: Aug. 2017
Est Completion Date
Open to traffic: Fall 2019
Lengths and Limits
Turkeycock Run Interchange to the vicinity of Eads Street
Alexandria, Arlington, and Fairfax
Note: For construction and lane closure information, visit www.395expresslanes.com.
About the Project
This project is extending the 395 Express Lanes for eight miles north from Turkeycock Run near Edsall Road to the vicinity of Eads Street in Arlington.
The two existing HOV lanes (or High Occupancy Toll) lanes are being converted to express lanes and a third lane is being added, providing three reversible express lanes.
The improvements primarily are being built within the existing footprint of the I-395 HOV lanes.
In November 2015, the commonwealth signed a framework agreement, establishing that the 395 Express Lanes extension be done by Transurban under the current 95 Express Lanes Comprehensive Agreement with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT.)
There will be a dedicated annual payment by Transurban for transit services and multimodal strategies identified in a study led by Virginia’s Department of Rail and Public Transportation.
Vehicles with three or more people can use the express lanes free, while vehicles with fewer than three people can choose to pay a variable toll and use the express lanes.
Construction began in August 2017, with the new extended lanes opening in Fall 2019 and the entire project set for completion in Summer 2020.
- Extending express lanes to the vicinity of Eads Street
- Providing new travel options for single-occupant drivers
- Installing an active traffic management system to keep traffic moving
- Providing sound walls for nearby neighborhoods
- Improving connections between the I-395 Express Lanes and Eads Street
- Providing dedicated annual funding for transit
Prepare environmental document: 2016
Multimodal study: 2016
Public information meetings: Spring 2016
Public hearings: Fall 2016
Begin construction: Aug. 2017
Open to traffic: Fall 2019
Estimated project completion: Summer 2020
Design public hearings were held Oct. 24, Oct. 26 and Nov. 30, 2016.
Final Environmental Documents
Environmental Assessment (September 2016)
- Air quality analysis technical report (September 2016)
- Alternatives analysis technical report (September 2016)
- Cultural resources technical report (September 2016)
- Hazardous materials technical memorandum (September 2016)
- Indirect and cumulative effects technical report (September 2016)
- Natural resources technical report (September 2016)
- Right of way technical report (September 2016)
- Socioeconomics and land use technical report (September 2016)
- Traffic and transportation technical report: 1 2 3 4 5 6 (September 2016)
- Noise analysis technical report: 1 2 3 4 (August 2016)
Interchange modification report (May 2017)
VDOT meetings with home owners' associations (November 2016)
I-95 / I-395 transit / TDM plan study overview (September 2016)
Presentation to Fairlington Citizens Association (September 2016)
Presentation from elected officials and media briefing (March 2016)
Express Lanes Corridor map
Project brochure (January 2016)
Noise report (June 2013)
Noise report (January 2013)
Fundamentals of traffic noise presentation (2013)
Design Public Hearings display boards and comment sheet (September 2011)