Fairfax County Parkway and Terminal Road
|Intersection/safety improvements in Fairfax County|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Late fall 2017
Lengths and Limits
Just north of Terminal Rd to just north of Backlick Rd
About the Project
This project is making safety improvements at the intersection of the Fairfax County Parkway (Route 286) and Terminal Road, as well as adding a third southbound lane with merge area on Fairfax County Parkway from Terminal Road to the next traffic signal at Backlick Road.
Improvements to the Fairfax County Parkway/Terminal Road intersection include:
- Converting the existing southbound Fairfax County Parkway right-turn lane to a right-turn/through lane
- Adding a second left-turn lane on northbound Fairfax County Parkway
- Widening the crossover
- Reconstructing the traffic signal
Preliminary engineering: $558,000
Construction: $1.7 million
Total: $2.3 million
Drivers can expect intermittent weekday single-lane closures and flagging operations during off-peak hours on Fairfax County Parkway and Terminal Road. Off-peak hours are as follows:
- Monday - Thursday: 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Friday: 9:30 a.m. - noon
In addition, there will be occasional nighttime multiple-lane closures on Fairfax County Parkway and Terminal Road. This will include full closures of up to 15 minutes each. Nighttime hours are as follows:
- Sunday - Thursday: 10 p.m. - 5 a.m.
- Friday: 10 p.m. - 9 a.m.
- Saturday: 10 p.m. - 8 a.m.
State: 0286-029-163, P101, RW201, C501
Federal: HSIP-5A01 (666)