I-66 and Route 15 Interchange Reconstruction
|Building a Diverging Diamond Interchange in Prince William County|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Lane Construction Corp.
Christiana Briganti-Dunn, P.E., CCM
Learn about the DDI
Diverging-diamond interchanges (DDI) shift vehicles to the opposite side of the road and eliminate left turns that cross into oncoming traffic, improving safety.
Traffic signals at each end of the interchange reduce “red light” time for motorists.
Simulation of I-66 and Route 15 DDI
About the project
The project included constructing:
- Two longer bridges to carry Route 15 over Interstate 66 with two crossover intersections
- Ramp improvements (including a spur ramp to ease traffic flow from westbound I-66 to northbound Route 15 to westbound Heathcote Boulevard)
- Improvements on Route 15 from just north of the railroad tracks to just south of Heathcote Boulevard
- Wider intersections on Route 15 at Heathcote Boulevard and Route 55, adding turn lanes to both
- A 10-foot-wide shared-use path on the east side of Route 15 for pedestrians and bicyclists.
In May 2014, the Commonwealth Transportation Board awarded a $36 million contract to Lane Construction Corp. of Chantilly to design and build the DDI to relieve congestion, enhance safety, operations and capacity, and to accommodate forecasted traffic demand in the area.
Preliminary engineering: $3 million
Right of way and relocation assistance: $8 million
Final design, utilities and construction: $48 million
Total: $59 million
A ribbon-cutting was held Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2017.
"Pardon Our Dust" Meeting Presentation (August 2015) || Revised Environmental Assessment (June 2015) and appendices || Information meeting (October 2014) || FHWA video - Diverging Diamond Interchange || Displays: Overall project, traffic flow, peak hour volumes 2036 || Comparison table - DDI vs. flyover || Traffic operations - DDI vs. SDR || Public hearing brochure, comment summary (March 2013) || Information meeting brochure (March 2012)
UPC: 100566 | State: (FO) 0066-076-074, P101, R201, C501 | Federal: IM-066-1 (341)