I-66 and Route 15 Interchange Reconstruction
|Constructing a new interchange in Prince William County|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Lane Construction Corp.
***** NOTICE *****
A "Pardon Our Dust" meeting was held August 12. Click here to view the presentation.
VDOT, and its Design-Build Contractor – The Lane Construction Corporation and Rinker Design Associates – conducted a Public Information Meeting (PIM) on October 29, 2014 at Battlefield High School in Haymarket. If you were unable to attend, but are interested in reviewing the content of the meeting, please click on the following links:
- Public Information Meeting presentation
- FHWA Video - Alternative Intersections: Diverging Diamond Interchange
- Diverging diamond interchange brochure insert
- Executive Summary of PIM Comments and Responses
- Detailed Summary of PIM Comments and Responses
Video Simulation - Morning Peak Period
Video Simulation - Afternoon Peak Period
About the Project
On May 14, 2014 the CTB awarded a $36 million contract to Lane Construction Corp. of Chantilly to design and build a diverging-diamond interchange (DDI) on U.S. 15 at I-66 to relieve congestion, enhance public safety, operations and capacity, and accommodate forecasted traffic demand in the area.
Diverging-diamond interchanges shift vehicles to the opposite side of the road and eliminate left turns that cross into oncoming traffic, improving safety. Traffic signals at each end of the interchange feature only two phases, reducing “red light” time for motorists and enhancing mobility. VDOT recently completed its first DDI on U.S. 15 where it crosses Interstate 64 at Zion Crossroads in Louisa County and has two more in the works in Roanoke and Blacksburg.
As part of this diverging-diamond interchange, the project will include constructing:
• Two longer bridges to carry U.S. 15 over I-66 with two crossover intersections;
• Ramp improvements (including a spur ramp to ease traffic flow from westbound I-66 to northbound U.S. 15 to westbound Heathcote Boulevard);
• Improvements on U.S. 15 from just north of the railroad tracks to just south of Heathcote Boulevard;
• Wider intersections on U.S. 15 at Heathcote Boulevard and Route 55, adding turn lanes to both; and
• A 10-foot-wide shared-use path on the east side of U.S. 15 for pedestrians and bicyclists.
The project also includes improvements to the Rte.15 intersections at Heathcote Boulevard and Route 55, and a shared-use path along the eastern side of Rte. 15.
Preliminary designs for the project included a Semi-Directional Ramp concept (See the project brochure from the March 20 2013 Public Hearing). The project was advertised for Design-Build delivery on September 24, 2013 and Design-Build teams had the option to offer alternate designs that address the project’s purpose and need. VDOT evaluated proposals for short-listed firms, based on technical and cost considerations. The concept proposed by the successful Design-Build team, Lane Construction/RDA, is the Diverging-Diamond interchange.
Preliminary Engineering: $3 million
Right of Way acquisition and Relocation Assistance: $8 million
Design/Build Contract (Final Design, Utility Relocation & Construction), Contingency and VDOT oversight: $48 million
Total: $59 million
This project is being financed with federal and state funds. Costs are subject to change.
Project Timeline/Anticipated Schedule
- Public hearing on preliminary design - Spring 2013
- Advertise project (Request for Proposals) - Sept. 24, 2013
- Commonwealth Transportation Board project award - May 14, 2014
- Citizen Information Meeting - Oct. 29, 2014
- End of comment period - Nov. 17, 2014
- Final Design - Winter 2014
- Right-of-way acquisition - Winter 2014
- Begin construction - September 2015
- Complete construction - Fall 2017
Revised Environmental Assessment (June 15, 2015) and Appendices:
Appendix I - 2013 Environmental Assessment with Appendices
Appendix II - U.S Dept. of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service Farmland Conservation Impact Rating for Corridor Type Projects (Form NRCS-CPA-106)
Appendix III - 2014 Final Design Noise Analysis
PIM Exhibits (October 29, 2014): Comparison Table - DDI vs. Fly-over, and Traffic Operations - DDI vs. SDR
Contract Award (May 15, 2014)
Public hearing brochure and comment summary (March 20, 2013)
Information meeting brochure (March 22, 2012)
State Project: (FO) 0066-076-074, P101, R201, C501
Federal Project: IM-066-1 (341)