|From Route 15 in Haymarket to Route 29 in Gainesville|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Lengths and Limits
Just west of Rt. 15 to just east of Rt. 29 (Gainesville)
About the Project
This project will add one HOV and one regular lane in each direction from Rt 29 in Gainesville to Rt 15 in Haymarket, improving traffic flow to and from Haymarket, western Prince William and eastern Fauquier counties.
When complete in the summer of 2016, drivers will have three regular lanes and one HOV lane in each direction for 25 miles, from I-495 to Route 15.
Other improvements include:
- Adding a left-turn lane on the I-66 westbound ramp to Rt.15 (completed June 2014)
- Reconstructing overpasses at Old Carolina Rd./S. Jefferson St. (re-opened to traffic Dec. 2015) and Catharpin Rd. (new overpass opened to traffic June 2016) with ten-foot shared-use paths
- Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) components for managing traffic volume, improving flow and enhanced incident response
- Overhead sign structures
- Utility relocation
- Storm drainage and storm water management facilities
- Retaining walls, sound barriers, roadway lighting on the two overpasses
- 12-foot paved shoulders
Preliminary Engineering: $2.3 million
Right of Way: $100,000
Construction: $62.1 million
Total: $64.5 million
Motorists can expect lane closures during off-peak hours as well as occasional nighttime single-lane closures.
After the Old Carolina Road bridge is complete, temporary lane closures and flagging operations at the approaches of the bridge will affect local traffic on Old Carolina Rd/Jefferson St.
Please note the adjacent I-66 and Route 15 interchange reconstruction project also has traffic impacts in this area.
Jefferson St/Old Carolina Rd bridge demolition meeting presentation (August 2014)
"Pardon our dust" meeting presentation (May 2014)
Design public hearing (July 2011)
Draft environmental document (Categorial Exclusion)
Air quality analysis report
Noise and soundwall documents
Cultural resources survey report
Appendix A | B | C | D
State: 0066-076-003, P101, RW201, C501, B674, B675