I-66 Tier I Environmental Impact Study (EIS)
|Potential Multimodal Improvements in Prince William and Fairfax Counties|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Central Office Project Studies Manager
What's Being Done?
The Tier 1 EIS is studying potential multimodal improvements that can address existing and future transportation needs in the Interstate 66 corridor from U.S. Route 15 in Prince William County to Interstate 495 in Fairfax County.
The study area encompasses areas both north and south of I-66.
The EIS is being developed as a Tier 1 document.
A Tier 1 EIS differs from a traditional EIS in that it focuses on broad issues such as:
- Purpose and need
- Travel modes (bus, carpool, rail transit, car, etc.)
- Technology choices
- The general location of proposed improvements
This Tier 1 Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is being developed by the Virginia Department of Transportation, the Federal Highway Administration and the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation.
Stay Informed, Participate, Comment Online
Throughout the study, residents can offer suggestions and voice concerns.
To gather input for a "purpose and need statement" for this study, public meetings were held in June 2011, and January and February of 2012. March 2013 public hearings focused on the Tier 1 Draft EIS, which entails:
- Extensive traffic forecasting
- Analysis of how transportation modes work in combination with others
- Evaluations of possible impacts on the natural and human environments
Questions? Contact the Project Manager
If you have additional questions concerning this study, contact VDOT project manager Angel Deem at 804-371-6756 or by email at Angel.Deem@VDOT.Virginia.gov.
Documents and Presentations
- Tier 1 Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) (9 MB)
- EIS Transportation Technical Report (3.4 MB)
- June 2011 agency scoping meeting presentation (249 KB)
- June 2011 citizen scoping meeting presentation (1.4 MB)
- June 2011 display boards from citizen information meetings (18 MB)
- June 2011 scoping meeting handout (1.3 MB)
- November 2011 cooperating and participating agencies meeting (2 MB)
- January 2012 display boards from citizen information meetings (2 MB)
- February 2012 comment sheet (140 KB)
- January 2012 citizen information meeting presentation (3 MB)
- Winter 2012 newsletter (2.7 MB)
- Winter 2012 Summary of Public Comments (484 KB)
- March 2012 cooperating and participating agencies meeting (2 MB)
- March 2013 Public Hearing Brochure (1 MB)
- March 2013 Public Hearing Boards (14 MB)
- March 2013 PowerPoint Presentation Narrative (4.7 MB)