Route 606/Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road
|Reconstruction and Widening|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Loudoun Co Pkwy open to traffic: Fall 2017
Lengths and Limits
Evergreen Mills Road to the Dulles Greenway
Note: The left lane of westbound Route 606 approaching Evergreen Mills Road is closed until the morning of Saturday, July 1, weather permitting.
About the Project
Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road (Route 606) connects two major roads, Route 50 and Route 28 (Sully Road) and is a desirable route for motorists from points west to access Ashburn, Sterling and Herndon. The road is currently congested in both directions during peak hours. This project will address the need to increase capacity on this section of road due to growth in the surrounding area and the resulting increase in traffic congestion.
The project will:
- Reconstruct and widen the existing two-lane rural road to four lanes between Evergreen Mills Road (Route 621) and the Dulles Greenway (Route 267) (a distance of about 5 miles)
- Include provisions for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Completed and opened to traffic new Route 606 bridge over Horsepen Dam spillway just west of the Dulles Greenway (temporarily open to both westbound and eastbound traffic, will be open only to westbound traffic in final configuration)
- Constructing new bridge over Horsepen Dam spillway for future eastbound traffic only
- Earthwork and storm sewer construction for new Route 606 lanes and bike trail
- Installation of new water main along Route 606
- Constructing stormwater management ponds throughout project
- Constructing the new Lightning Drive on the NOAA site and continuing to improve their facilities
- Signal work at intersections throughout the project
Drivers can expect some traffic shifts to allow for construction of drainage facilities and waterline crossings weekdays between 9:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained at all times.
Between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., expect intermittent single lane closures with flagging for special work such as waterline crossings.
VDOT awarded the design-build contract to the Shirley/Dewberry team on May 14, 2014 for approximately $77 million. The NTP (Notice to Proceed) was issued on June 19, 2014. Survey and final design were the first items to occur following the NTP, with construction having begun in September 2015.
The project's Loudoun County Parkway segment is scheduled to open to traffic in the fall of 2017. Old Ox Road is scheduled to open in its new four-lane configuration at the northern and southern ends of the project by the end of 2017.
Four lanes open to traffic along the entire stretch of Old Ox Road, as well as final completion of the entire project, are scheduled to occur in the summer of 2018.
Planning for the widening of the Route 606 corridor between Route 50 and the Dulles Greenway has been ongoing since the early 1990s. The first segment was implemented in 2002-03 with the reconstruction and widening between Route 50 and Evergreen Mills Road.
The project will implement the ‘Interim Condition’ as described in Loudoun County’s Countywide Transportation Plan. This plan calls for Route 606 to be a controlled-access, median-divided urban collector. The ultimate condition as described in the Countywide Transportation Plan calls for a limited-access, median-divided urban arterial. The proposed design implements the interim condition while enabling a future conversion to its ultimate condition.
The Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority (MWAA), Loudoun County and Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) are jointly funding the project, which is being developed by VDOT.
"Pardon Our Dust" meeting presentation | Noise Abatement Guidelines | Noise Abatement Design Study Reports | Summary Report of Design Public Hearing | Public hearing brochure | Public hearing exhibits | Environmental assessment | Federal Highway Administration FONSI and FONSI Rationale | Typical section
UPCs: 97529 (State Project Number: 0606-053-983,P101), 105064, 105575