Route 50 Widening
|From Route 28 in Fairfax to Poland Road in Loudoun|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Fairfax and Loudoun
Larry Tomlinson, P.E., L.S., CCM
Design Build Manager
Bill Atkins, CCM
Shirlene Cleveland, P.E.
Program Manager for Design Build Projects
About the Project
Route 50 is being reconstructed and widened from four to six lanes between Poland Road and Route 28 (about 3.7 miles). In addition, VDOT is also:
• Improving traffic signalization
• Improving turn lanes
• Providing a shared-use path on both sides of the road
• Providing crosswalks with curb ramps and pedestrian signals
• Widening and upgrading bridges
Prior to the project, Route 50 narrowed from six lanes to four just west of Route 28. Increased development and congestion in Loudoun County in recent years led to backups during much of the day on the four-lane segment, especially during morning and evening rush hours.
This project aims to relieve congestion, provide pedestrian and cyclist accommodations and improve safety along the corridor. The road will also be more level and provide wider buffers between travel lanes and roadside hazards.
The current project cost is estimated at about $94.9 million:
• $10.0 million for preliminary engineering
• $19.0 million for right of way acquisition
• $10.5 million for utility relocation
• $55.4 million for construction
The entire project is scheduled for completion in November 2015.
Regular closures: Drivers can expect periodic traffic shifts, daytime lane closures 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in each direction, and some occasional overnight lane closures.
A third lane opened to westbound traffic through the entire project on Dec. 18, 2014. Read the release
A third lane opened to eastbound traffic through the entire project on August 28, 2014. Read the release
Upcoming Project Milestones
- Complete spur ramp construction and switch traffic between Lee Road and Route 28 - Second Quarter 2015
- Complete westbound permanent roadway and switch traffic between Pleasant Valley Road (Fairfax) and Lee Road - Second Quarter 2015
- Complete median construction between the Cub Run bridge and Route 28 - Third Quarter 2015
- Substantial completion (completion of trails, signals, final paving and striping) - Fourth Quarter 2015
Construction updates: Dec. 2014 Sept. 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | Aug 2013
Project presentation (June 2014)
Environmental document (Categorical Exclusion)
Presentation from "pardon our dust" meeting held in June 2012
Public Hearing brochure, presentation, and summary of comments (Feb. 2009)
Public hearing display boards 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
UPC: 68757 State Project: 0050-96A-101, P101, R201, C501
Federal Project: STP-5401(571)