Route 50 Widening
|From Route 28 in Fairfax to Poland Road in Loudoun|
Project at a Glance
About the Project
Route 50 is being reconstructed and widened from four to six lanes between Poland Road and Route 28 (about 3.7 miles). In addition, VDOT is also:
• Improving traffic signalization
• Improving turn lanes
• Providing a shared-use path on both sides of the road
• Providing crosswalks with curb ramps and pedestrian signals
• Widening and upgrading bridges
Prior to the project, Route 50 narrowed from six lanes to four just west of Route 28. Increased development and congestion in Loudoun County in recent years led to backups during much of the day on the four-lane segment, especially during morning and evening rush hours.
This project aims to relieve congestion, provide pedestrian and cyclist accommodations and improve safety along the corridor. The road will also be more level and provide wider buffers between travel lanes and roadside hazards.
The current project cost is estimated at about $94.9 million:
• $10.0 million for preliminary engineering
• $19.0 million for right of way acquisition
• $10.5 million for utility relocation
• $55.4 million for construction
The entire project is scheduled for completion in November 2015.
- Third eastbound lane open to traffic throughout entire project - August 2014
- Third westbound lane open to traffic throughout entire project - December 2014
- Westbound traffic shift to permanent lanes between Lee Road and Pleasant Valley Road (Fairfax) - July 2015
- Complete spur ramp construction from Route 28 South to Lee Road and switch westbound traffic between Route 28 and Lee Road - August 2015
- Complete median construction between the Cub Run bridge and Route 28 - Fall 2015
- Substantial completion (completion of trails, signals, final paving and striping) - Fall 2015
Regular closures: Drivers can expect periodic traffic shifts, daytime lane closures 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in each direction, and some occasional overnight lane closures.
Construction updates: Dec. 2014 Sept. 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | Aug 2013
Project presentation (June 2014)
Environmental document (Categorical Exclusion)
Presentation from "pardon our dust" meeting held in June 2012
Public Hearing brochure, presentation, and summary of comments (Feb. 2009)
Public hearing display boards 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
UPC: 68757 State Project: 0050-96A-101, P101, R201, C501
Federal Project: STP-5401(571)