Route 7 Truck-Climbing Lane and Operational Improvements
|From West Market Street to Route 9 in Loudoun County|
Project at a Glance
June 26, 2014
Est Completion Date
Oct. 22, 2015
$36.4 million total
In July, the contractor began prepping the road for permanent westbound widening by installing temporary traffic control barriers along the edge of the westbound lanes.
In August, the contractor has begun clearing as well as started the storm drainage crossings on the project.
About the Project
The purpose of this project is to improve safety and ease congestion along westbound Route 7 between West Market Street and Route 9 by constructing a truck climbing lane for slow-moving heavy vehicles. Currently, heavy trucks such as tractor-trailers often slow traffic behind them as they travel the steep grade. The project also features the following safety and operational improvements:
• Reconfigured medians to reduce turn conflicts, and some side street intersection modifications
• Two new roundabouts where the ramps to and from Route 7 meet Route 9 to improve traffic flow and reduce delay along Route 9
• Relocated W&OD Trail through the Route 9 interchange to reduce conflicts between trail users and vehicles
• A new road segment to complete the connection of neighborhoods along Beechnut Road
• Extension of Fort Johnston Road to provide a connection to Alysheba Drive, Farm Market Road and Leeland Orchard Road.
• A new turn lane from eastbound West Market Street to the westbound Route 7 on-ramp.
VDOT is administering the project in cooperation with the Town of Leesburg and Loudoun County.
VDOT awarded the design-build contract to the Shirley/Dewberry team on Oct. 25, 2013. Construction commenced on the project June 26, 2014 with the installation of construction signage. The Roxbury interchange has been modified from input received at the "Pardon Our Dust" meeting held on May 15, 2014. An artist rendering of this revised interchange is available below.
Artist Rendering of Revised Roxbury Interchange
"Pardon Our Dust" meeting presentation (May 2014)
Environmental Design approval
Endorsements from Leesburg Town Council and Loudoun Board of Supervisors
Public hearing project brochure (May 2012) and responses to comments received
Detail views of improvements for West Market Street and Route 9 interchanges
document (Categorical Exclusion) and noise report
Traffic volumes (8 MB) and crash data (14 MB)
Comments from Beacon Hill Homeowners Association meeting (Aug. 2010)
Project #6007-053-133, P101, R201, C501 – UPC# 58599