Route 7 at Battlefield ParkwayNew interchange and other operational improvements in the Town of Leesburg
About the Project
This project will replace the traffic signal at Route 7 (East Market Street) and Battlefield Parkway with a grade-separated interchange.
Other improvements include:
- Removing the signal at Route 7 and Cardinal Park Drive and modifying the intersection.
- Adding auxiliary lanes on eastbound Route 7 from the Leesburg Bypass to the new Battlefield Parkway interchange, and from the Battlefield Parkway interchange to River Creek Parkway.
- Constructing a shared-use path along eastbound Battlefield Parkway and a sidewalk along westbound Battlefield Parkway.
The project aims to relieve congestion, improve safety and enhance vehicle and pedestrian flow.
Preliminary engineering, right of way acquisition, utility relocation and part of construction have been funded by the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority.
Begin Preliminary Engineering - March 2016
Public Information Meeting - May 2017
Design Public Hearing - March 2018
Categorical Exclusion Available - May 2018
Award Design-Build Contract - March 2019
Design Approval - Summer 2019
Begin Construction - Fall 2019
Preliminary Engineering - $4 million
Right of Way Acquisition and Utility Relocation - $7.3 million
Construction - $66 million
Total - $77.3 million
Categorical Exclusion (May 2018)
Design Public Hearing (March 2018)
Presentation to Leesburg Town Council (June 2017)
In June 2017, the Council endorsed Alternative 4 (Single Point Urban Interchange) for Battlefield Parkway and Option C-3 for Cardinal Park Drive (Right in/Right Out - Auxiliary Lane).
Public Information Meeting (May 2017)
- Brochure | Inserts (Interchange/Cardinal Park Drive intersection alternatives)
- Interchange alternative displays: (1) Single-loop hybrid | (2) Compressed diamond | (3) Diverging diamond | (4) Single-point urban
- Cardinal Park Drive displays: Options A&B | Options C&D
State: 0007-253-109, P101, R201, C501, B601
Federal: STP-5A01 (704)