Stringfellow Road Widening
|From Fair Lakes Boulevard to Route 50 in Fairfax County|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Completed July 2015
Lengths and Limits
Fair Lakes Blvd. to Rt. 50 (Approx. 2 miles)
Fort Myer Construction Corp.
About the Project
This project widened Stringfellow Road from two lanes to four, separated by a 16-foot concrete median, between Fair Lakes Boulevard and Route 50.
The first phase of the project began in October 2010 and focused on moving major utilities. VDOT completed all utility relocations in the spring of 2013.
The project also included:
- a five- to six-foot-wide sidewalk on the west side of Stringfellow Road and a 10-foot wide path on the east side
- wide curb lanes to accommodate bicyclists
- a new bridge over Rocky Run
- drainage improvements
- adding a left-turn lane northbound to Route 50, and
- modifying the southbound approach to Route 50 to improve traffic flow.
This section of Stringfellow Road connects two major roads, Route 50 and Route 29, and had seen severe congestion in both directions during peak periods. This project increased capacity on this section of road needed due to extensive growth in the corridor and resulting increases in traffic.
Stringfellow Road carries about 23,000 vehicles per day, and is expected to increase to 33,000 in 2034.
"Pardon our Dust" meeting presentation and question-and-answer summary (April 3, 2013)
UPC: 60864 State Project: 0645-029-384,P101, R201,C501,B601, D601