- The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) issued a Record of Decision for the Hampton Roads Third Crossing on June 4, 2001.
- The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) received an unsolicited proposal from Skanska USA, Inc on May 9, 2001, and a competing proposal from Fluor Daniel on Jan. 30, 2002. Both proposals were not recommended by the Initial Review Committee (IRC) and were returned to the respective firms in August 2002.
approved a re-evaluation of
the Final Environmetnal Impact Statement (FEIS) on Nov. 5,
o The re-evaluation concluded that there were no changes to the project or the surrounding environment that resulted in significant environmental impacts not already disclosed in the FEIS.
- The Hampton Roads 2026 Regional Transportation Plan only includes Segment I of the project and does not contain any funding sources outside of toll revenues.
- VDOT received for consideration an unsolicited proposal to develop, design, construct, finance, operate and maintain the Third Hampton Roads Crossing on June 30, 2004 from the joint venture team of Skanska USA/Washington Group/Royal BAM (SWB). A competing proposal from Fluor Virginia, Inc to develop, finance, design, and construct the project was received on Oct. 8, 2004.
- The IRC recommended the Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) to approve both unsolicited conceptual proposals to the detailed proposal phase. CTB approved SWB’s and Fluor’s (“proposers”) unsolicited conceptual proposals for the project on Feb. 17, 2005 for further evaluation and action under the Public-Private Transportation Act (PPTA) of 1995, as amended.
- VDOT issued a Request for Detailed Proposals on Aug. 29, 2005.
- VDOT granted a requested extension of the scheduled submittal date for the Detailed Proposals to Aug. 30, 2006 (4:00 PM EST) for each proposer.
- VDOT granted a second extension of the scheduled submittal date for the Detailed Proposals, which was requested by the private-sector proposers, to Dec. 15, 2006 (4:00 PM EST).
- Private-sector proposers requested VDOT to extend the mid-December deadline for submitting detailed proposals for up to two more years. On Dec. 15, 2006, VDOT decided to cancel this effort instead.
Page last modified: Oct. 14, 2012