Interstate 81 Exit 140 Park and Ride Facility Expansion
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Park and Ride Now Open
The park and ride opened on Wednesday, October 25 with 239 standard spaces, eight handicapped spaces and nine motorcycle spaces.
For schedules and information on the Smart Way Bus and Smart Way Connector, visit http://smartwaybus.com/.
For more information on park and ride locations in Virginia, visit http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/parkride/home.asp.
The primary purpose of this project was to expand the existing park and ride lot to meet future demands. The original park and ride facility was approximately 350’ by 86’ (1.05 acres) and was expanded to 545’ by 86’ (1.28 acres). The proposed expansion increased facility size to 722’ by 118’ (1.94 acres).
Previous park & ride capacity: 112 vehicles+/-.
New park & ride capacity: 239 vehicles (24 car/truck plus 9 motorcycle).
The project included:
- Replacing existing pavement
- Increasing existing parking spaces from 112 to 239
- Adding motorcycle parking spaces and additional handicap accommodations
- Utilizing permeable pavement to achieve water quality standards
- Installing two bus shelters, bike racks, trash cans and handicap parking
- Installing additional lighting and sidewalks
The proposed entrances for the new facility are located at points that provide increased sight distance for improved safety when entering and exiting the facility.
The project began in spring 2017 and was completed in fall 2017.