Interstate 81 Exit 140 Park and Ride Facility Expansion
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Park and Ride Now Open
The park and ride opened on Wednesday, October 25 with 239 standard spaces, eight handicapped spaces and nine motorcycle spaces. Residual work continues through the end of this year.
For schedules and information on the Smart Way Bus and Smart Way Connector, visit http://smartwaybus.com/.
For more information on park and ride locations in Virginia, visit http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/parkride/home.asp.
The primary purpose of this project is to expand the existing park and ride lot to meet future demands. The original park and ride facility was approximately 350’ by 86’ (1.05 acres) and was expanded to 545’ by 86’ (1.28 acres). The proposed expansion will increase facility size to 722’ by 118’ (1.94 acres).
Existing park & ride capacity: 112 vehicles+/-.
Proposed park & ride capacity: 239 vehicles (24 car/truck plus 9 motorcycle).
The project includes:
- Replacing existing pavement
- Increasing existing parking spaces from 112 to 239
- Adding motorcycle parking spaces and additional handicap accommodations
- Utilize permeable pavement to achieve water quality standards
- Install two bus shelters, bike racks, trash cans and handicap parking
- Install additional lighting and sidewalks
The proposed entrances for the new facility are located at points that provide increased sight distance for improved safety when entering and exiting the facility.
The project began in spring 2017 and is expected to be completed in fall 2017.