North Main Street at Route 460 - Blacksburg
Project at a Glance
Construction Bids Fall 2019
Est Completion Date
Lengths and Limits
0.9 mile, from 0.3 Mile South of North Main to 0.6 Mile North of North Main Street
The primary purpose of the project is to enhance safety by constructing a restricted crossing U-turn (R-CUT) along Route 460 at the intersection of North Main Street and Farmingdale Lane.
The new design should improve safety by eliminating left turns, the primary turning movement where crashes have occurred at this intersection.
The improvements include the following:
- Restricting left turns from North Main Street onto eastbound Route 460
- Restricting left turn movements from Farmingdale Lane onto westbound Route 460
- Reconfiguring the right turn from North Main onto westbound Route 460 to provide better sight distance and an extended merge lane
- Constructing a new crossover east of North Main Street to allow U-turns for passenger vehicles
- Enhancing the existing crossover at Fortress Drive
- Improving the right turn lane from westbound Route 460 onto North Main Street
Depending on the availability of funding, the connection of Bishop Road to Route 460 also may be closed as part of this project.
As of 2016, approximately 15,700 on Route 460 pass through this intersection which is projected to increase to 18,700 by the year 2040.
The project is currently in design and is expected to be advertised for construction bids in fall 2019.
Construction is estimated to start in late 2019 and be completed in late 2020.
VDOT will hold a design public hearing on the project on Thursday, August 31, 2017, 5-7 p.m., at the Blacksburg Community Center located at 725 Patrick Henry Drive in Blacksburg.
The hearing will be held in an “open-house” format and VDOT representatives will be present to answer questions.
Comments can be submitted at the hearing or they can be submitted by email or in writing by September 10, 2017.
Send comments to:
Virginia Department of Transportation
Tim Dowdy, Project Manager
731 Harrison Avenue
Salem, VA 24153
Comments also can be emailed to email@example.com. Please reference “North Main Street Blacksburg Public Comment” in the subject heading.