Franklin 2020 Transportation Plan
< Back</< P>
Welcome to VDOT's "Franklin 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. This study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the city's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study area are the corporate limits of the City of Franklin. The following roadway segments are being evaluated:
- Business Route 58 from West Corporate Limits to East Corporate Limits
- Business Route 58 parallel from Business Route 58 to Fourth Avenue
- Route 258 from South Corporate Limits to Mechanic Street
- Route 913 (North Drive) from Hunterdale Rd to Crescent Drive
- Route 915 (Pretlow Street) from South Corporate Limits to South Street
- Route 901 (Armory Drive) from West Corporate Limits to Gardner Street
- Route 900 (Second Avenue) from Armory Drive to Route 258 (Main Street)
- Route 907 (High Street) from South Street to North Corporate Limits
- Route 903 (College Drive) from South Street to Sycamore Road
- Route 909 (Hunterdale Road) from Clay Street to North Corporate Limits
- Route 905 (Fairview Drive) from Hunterdale Road to Crescent Drive
- Route 902 (Banks Street) from Morton Street to South Street
- Route 912 (Morton Street) from Banks Street to Oak Street
- Route 904 (Crescent Drive) from Fairview Drive to North Drive
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- traffic counts conducted in September 1999
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Franklin's 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that were raised by local officials and citizens.
The Virginia Department of Transportation presented the proposed recommendations for the Franklin 2020 Transportation Plan on April 22nd, 2002 from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM in the Council Chambers, the Cresttale Building, located on 222 Progress Parkway in Franklin, VA. The purpose of the meeting was to present the current and future transportation needs, as well as recommended improvements to the Franklin thoroughfare system. VDOT representatives were available for questions during the meeting.
The Franklin City Council adopted the Franklin 2020 Transportation Plan on June 24, 2002.
A summary of the Franklin 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link:
In addition, click the following link to view the Franklin 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map:
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Franklin from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Franklin.
Local Contact:Rowland (Bucky) Taylor
207 West Second Avenue
Franklin, VA 23851
Phone: (757) 562 - 8504
VDOT Contact: Eric Stringfield
Virginia Department of Transportation
1700 North Main Street
Suffolk, Virginia 23434