Front Royal 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT's "Front Royal 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town's thoroughfare highway system. The study area included the town limits portions of Warren and Clarke Counties immediately surrounding the town. Within the study area the following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Commerce Avenue between South Street and 6th Street
- Happy Creek Road west of Route 606Front Royal 2020 Transportation
- Route 606 north of Happy Creek Road
- Route 55 at eastern town line
- Route 55 at western town line
- Route 522 just south of Route 605
- Route 340/522 north of I-66
- Route 340/522 between I-66 and Shenandoah River
- Route 340 just south of Route 650
- North Royal Avenue between South Street and 6th Street
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- traffic counts conducted in October 1998
- accident report information from 1997 through 1999
- a detailed inventory of on-street and off-street parking facilities
- travel time and delay data on the roadway system
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Front Royal's 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that may be raised by local officials and citizens. The Virginia Department of Transportation held a meeting to present proposed recommendations for the Front Royal 2020 Transportation Plan on December 9, 1999 at the Raymond E. Santmyers Youth Center. The purpose of the meeting was to describe the current and future transportation needs, as well as recommended improvements to the Front Royal thoroughfare system. The Front Royal Town Council and the Warren County Board of Supervisors approved the Front Royal 2020 Transportation Plan on February 28, 2000.
A summary of the Front Royal 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link:
In addition, click the following link to view the Front Royal 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section Please be sure to select Front Royal from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Front Royal.
Local Contact: Berutta Jordon
P.O. Box 1560
Front Royal, Virginia 22630
Phone: (540) 635-8007
VDOT Contact: Bob Ball
District Transportation Planner
811 Commerce Road
Staunton, Virginia 24402