Grottes 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT's "Grottoes 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the town's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study are the corporate limits of the Town of Grottoes. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- 3rd Street from West Corporate Limit to Augusta Avenue (Extension included)
- Aspen Avenue from 2nd Street to 11th Street
- Cary Street from Aspen Street to East Corporate Limit
- Augusta Avenue from South Corporate Limit to North Corporate Limit
- 2nd Street from Aspen Street to Route 340
- 6th Street from Dogwood Avenue to Aspen Street
- Dogwood Avenue from South Corporate Limit to North Corporate Limit
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- Traffic counts conducted in August 2000
- Accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- Review of tourism and goods movement issues in the town
The above information was analyzed to identify Grottoes' 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns raised by local officials and citizens. A public meeting was held January 14, 2002 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM at the Grottoes Municipal Building, 601 Dogwood Avenue to present the study findings and seek input on the recommendations proposed for future improvements. The Grottoes 2020 Transportation Plan was adopted by the Town on February 11, 2002.
A summary of the Grottoes 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link.
In addition, click the following link to view the Grottoes 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
Grottoes 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Grottoes from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Grottoes.
Local Contact: Timothy E. Crider
P.O. Box 146
Grottoes, VA 24441
Phone: (540) 249-5896
VDOT Contact: Bob Ball
District Transportation Planner
811 Commerce Road
Staunton, Virginia 24402