Narrows 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT's "Narrows 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The recently completed Narrows 2020 Transportation Plan was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study were the corporate limits of the Town of Narrows. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Park Drive from the Western Corporate Limits to Monroe Street
- Monroe Street from Park Street to Main Street
- Main Street from Monroe Street to Route 100
- Riverview Street from Route 100 to Southeast of the New River
- Route 61 from Southeast of the New River to Route 460 East
- Main Street from the Eastern Corporate Limits to Route 61
- U.S. Route 460 from the Northern Corporate Limits to the Eastern Corporate Limits
- Valley Street from Monroe Street to the Northern Corporate Limits
Data collected for the study of the town included:
- traffic counts conducted in April 2000
- accident report information from 1997 through 1999
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Narrows 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that may be raised by local officials and citizens. A pubic meeting was held on April 9, 2001 at the Narrows Municipal Building by the Virginia Department of Transportation and the Town of Narrows. The purpose of the meeting was to present the draft recommendations included in the Narrows 2020 Transportation Plan and to allow Narrows citizens to comment on the plan. The Narrows 2020 Transportation Plan was approved by the Narrows Town Council on June 11, 2001.
A summary of the Narrows 2020 Transportation Plan is availablwe for download by clicking the following link.
In addition, click the following link to view the Narrows 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
Narrows 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Narrows from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Narrows.
Local Contact: Mark Henne
Narrows Town Managers Office
137 Center Street
Narrows, VA 24124
VDOT Contact: Michael W. Gray
District Planning Manager
731 Harrison Avenue
Salem, Virginia 24153