Norton 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT’s "Norton 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the City’s thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study area are the corporate limits of the City of Norton. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- US 23 (Norton Bypass) from West Corporate Limits to North Corporate Limits.
- ALT 58 from US 23 to East Corporate Limits
- BUS 23 (Park Avenue) from West Corporate Limits to north corporate limits.
- Kentucky Avenue (Old ALT 58) from US 23 to Route 74 (Coeburn Avenue).
- 11th Street from BUS 23 (West Park Avenue) to Kentucky Avenue (Old ALT 58).
- Route 74 (Coeburn Avenue /Kentucky Avenue) from BUS 23 (West Park Ave) to East Corporate Limits.
- Route 289 from Bus 23 (East Park Avenue) to US 23.
- Route 620 (12th Street Northeast) from ALT 58 to North Corporate Limits.
- Route 610 (Needmore Road) from West Corporate Limits to North West Corporate Limits.
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- traffic counts conducted in Oct ’99
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Norton’s 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that may be raised by local officials and citizens.
The Virginia Department of Transportation presented the proposed recommendations for the Norton 2020 Transportation Plan on November 15, 2001 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM in the Council Chambers of the Municipal Building on 618 Virginia Avenue NW, Norton, VA. The purpose of the meeting was to present the current and future transportation needs, as well as recommended improvements to the Norton thoroughfare system.
The Norton City Council adopted the Norton 2020 Transportation Plan at the council meeting held on February 5, 2002.
A summary of the Norton 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link:
In addition, click the following link to view the Norton 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map:
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Norton from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Norton.