Radford 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT's "Radford Area, Including Fairlawn 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The recently completed Radford Area, Including Fairlawn 2020 Transportation Plan was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the area's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study area include the corporate limits of the City of Radford, the Fairlawn community area in Pulaski County, and a portion of Montgomery County. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Route 11 from the Northern Corporate Limits to First Street
- Norwood Street from Route 11 to the Eastern Corporate Limits
- Tyler Avenue from Norwood Street to the Southern Corporate Limits (Rock Road)
- Route 232 from the Southern Corporate Limits to the Old Southern Corporate Limits
- First Street from the Old Southern Corporate Limits to Route 11
- Grove Avenue from Norwood Street to Tyler Avenue
- Wadsworth Street from Rock Road to First Street
- Third Avenue from Grove Avenue to Norwood Street
- Rock Road from Route 232 to the Eastern Corporate Limits of Radford
- Preston Avenue from Eighth Street to First Street
- Eighth Street from Forest Avenue to Walker Street
- Walker Street from Eighth Street to First Street
- Forest Avenue from First Street to Rock Road
- Seventh Street from Forest Avenue to Pendleton Street
- Seventh Street from Walker Street to Scott Street
- Pendleton Street from First Street to Eighth Street
- Scott Street from Seventh Street to Park Road
- Park Road from Scott Street to Rock Road
- Second Avenue from Sundell Drive to Grove Avenue
- Noblin Street from Second Avenue to Hammet Avenue
- Hammet Avenue from Noblin Street to Route 177
- Jefferson Street from Norwood Street to Tyler Avenue
- Sundell Drive from Wadsworth Street to Park Road
Data collected for the study of the area included:
- traffic counts conducted in September 2000
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the City
The above information was analyzed to identify Radford's 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that may be raised by local officials and citizens. A pubic meeting was held on October 22, 2001 at the Radford City Circuit Court Room by the Virginia Department of Transportation, the City of Radford, Montgomery County, and Pulaski County. The purpose of the meeting was to present the draft recommendations included in the Radford Area, Including Fairlawn 2020 Transportation Plan and to allow citizens to comment on the plan. The Radford Area, Including Fairlawn Transportation Plan was approved by the Radford City Council on December 17, 2001.
A summary of the Radford Area, Including Fairlawn 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link:
In addition, click the following link to view the Radford Area, Including Fairlawn 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
Radford Area, Including Fairlawn 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Radford from the list of cities being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Radford.
Local Contact: James H. Hurt, Jr.
619 Second Street
Radford, Virginia 24141
Phone: (540) 731-3604
VDOT Contact: Michael W. Gray
District Planning Manager
731 Harrison Ave.
Salem, Virginia 24153