Richlands 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT’s "Richlands 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The recently completed Richlands 2020 Transportation Plan was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study area were the corporate limits of the Town of Richlands. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Business Route 460 from the West Corporate Limits to the East Corporate Limits
- US Route 460 from Business Route 460 to the East Corporate Limits
- Railroad Avenue / Route 67 from Business Route 460 (Front Street) to the North Corporate Limits
- Second Street from Business Route 460 (East) to Business Route 460 (West)
- Kents Ridge Road from Business Route 460 (Front Street) to the South Corporate Limits
- Veterans Drive from Second Street to Kents Ridge Road
- Edgewater Drive from Business Route 460 (Front Street) to the South Corporate Limits
- Norfolk Avenue from Business Route 460 (Front Street) to Second Street
- South Front Street
Data collected for the study of the town included:
- traffic counts conducted in August ’99
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Richlands' 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that may have been raised by local officials and citizens.
A public meeting was held on April 10, 2001 at the Richlands Police Department Assembly Hall by the Virginia Department of Transportation and the Town of Richlands. The purpose of the meeting was to present recommendations included in the Richlands 2020 Transportation Plan and to allow Richlands citizens to comment on the plan. The Richlands 2020 Transportation Plan was adopted by the Richlands Town Council on May 8, 2001.
A summary of the Richlands 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link.
In addition, click the following link to view the Richlands 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Richlands from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Richlands.
Local Contact: Timothy Taylor
Richlands Town Manager
217 Railroad Avenue
Richlands, VA 24641
Phone: (276) 964-2566
VDOT Contact: Robert Chandler
Virginia Department of Transportation
Transportation Planning Engineer
1401 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219