Rocky Mount 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT's "Rocky Mount 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The study is being conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study area are the corporate limits of the Town of Rocky Mount. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- type="circle">Franklin Street from the West Corporate Limit to Main Street
- Pell Avenue from Main Street to the East Corporate Limit
- Tanyard/Franklin Connector from Franklin Street to Tanyard Road
- Route 40 Bypass from the West Corporate Limit to North Main Street
- Main Street from the South Corporate Limit to the North Corporate Limit
- Court Street from Donald Avenue to Orchard Avenue
- Diamond Avenue from Franklin Street to the West Corporate Limit
- Donald Avenue from Tanyard Road to Court Street
- Floyd Avenue from Main Street to Franklin Street
- Grassy Hill from Main Street to the West Corporate Limit
- Orchard Avenue from Court Street to Main Street
- Scuffling Hill Road from Main Street to the West Corporate Limit
- State Street from Main Street South to Main Street North
- Tanyard Road from Pell Avenue to Main Street
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- traffic counts conducted in July 1999
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Rocky Mount's 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns raised by local officials and citizens. The Virginia Department of Transportation held a public meeting for the Rocky Mount 2020 Transportation Plan January 7, 2002 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM at the Rocky Mount Municipal Building, 345 Donald Street, to present the study findings and seek input on the recommendations proposed for future improvements. The Rocky Mount 2020 Transportation Plan was adopted by the Town on July 8, 2002.
A summary of the Rocky Mount 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link.
In addition, click the following link to view the Rocky Mount 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
Rocky Mount 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Rocky Mount from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Rocky Mount.
Local Contact: Suzanne Bowling
Planning and Zoning Administrator
345 Donald Avenue
Rocky Mount, VA 24151
Phone: (540) 483-0907
VDOT Contact: Michael W. Gray
District Planning Manager
731 Harrison Avenue
Richmond, Virginia 24153