Wise 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT’s "Wise 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The recently completed Town of Wise 2020 Transportation Plan was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town’s thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study were the corporate limits of the Town of Wise. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- US Route 23 from the north corporate limits to the south corporate limits
- Main Street from the north corporate limits to Park Avenue
- Norton Road from Main Street to US Route 23
- Park Avenue from Main Street to Hurricane Road
- Route 624 (Addington Road) from US Route 23 to Main Street
- Lake Street from Main Street to Hurricane Road
- Route 636 (Birchfield Road) from Main Street to the north corporate limits
- Route 640 (Hurricane Road) from Park Avenue to the north corporate limits
- Route 680 (Old Hurricane Road) from Route 640 (Hurricane Road) to the north corporate limits
- Route 646 (Darden Drive) from Park Avenue to the east corporate limits
- Coeburn Road from Park Avenue to the east corporate limits
- Railroad Avenue from Main Street to Kelly Street
- Kelly Street from Route 636 (Birchfield Road) to Railroad Avenue
- Church Street from Route 636 (Birchfield Road) to Railroad Avenue
- Nottingham Street from Main Street to Railroad Avenue
Data collected for the study of the town included:
- traffic counts conducted in October ’99 and February '00
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Wise’s 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that may have been raised by local officials and citizens.
A public meeting was held on May 22, 2001 at the Town of Wise Municipal Building by the Virginia Department of Transportation and the Town of Wise. The purpose of the meeting was to present the draft recommendations included in the Wise 2020 Transportation Plan and to allow Wise citizens to comment on the plan. The Wise 2020 Transportation Plan was adopted by the Wise Town Council on June 26, 2001.
A summary of the Wise 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link.
In addition, click the following link to view the Wise 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
Wise 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Wise from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Wise.
Local Contact: Ms. Beverly C. Owens
Wise Town Manager
P.O. Box 1100
Wise, VA 24293
Phone: (276) 328-6013
VDOT Contact: Robert Chandler
Virginia Department of Transportation
Transportation Planning Engineer
1401 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219