Altavista 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT's "Altavista 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the town's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study are the corporate limits of the Town of Altavista. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Broad Street from Lynch Road to 11th Street
- Clarion Road from Lynch Mill Road to the East Corporate Limits
- Franklin Avenue from Main Street to 12th Street
- Frazier Road from Avondale Drive to Lynch Mill Road
- Lola Avenue from Main Street to Lola Avenue Extended
- Lynch Mill Road from Main Street to the North Corporate Limits
- Lynch Road from 12th Street Extended to Broad Street
- Ogden Road Route from Avondale Drive to Lynch Mill Road
- Pittsylvania Avenue from Main Street to the South Corporate Limits
- Main Street from the South Corporate Limits to the North Corporate Limits
- Bedford Avenue from the West Corporate Limits to Main Street
- 7th Street from Bedford Avenue to Main Street
- 11th Street from Broad Street to Bedford Avenue
- 12th Street from Franklin Avenue to Norfolk-Southern Railway
- Avondale Drive from Lola Avenue Extended to Ogden Road
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- Traffic counts conducted in September 1999
- Accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- Review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Altavista's 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns raised by local officials and citizens. A public meeting was held March 12, 2002 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM at the Altavista Train Station, 414 Washington Street to present the study findings and seek input on the recommendations proposed for future improvements. The Altavista 2020 Transportation Plan was adopted by the Town on April 9, 2002.
A summary of the Altavista 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link.
In addition, click the following link to view the Altavista 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Altavista from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Altavista.
Local Contact: Bryan D. Foster
Altavista Town Manager
P.O. Box 420
Altavista, VA 24517
Phone: (804) 369-5002
VDOT Contact: Jeffery B. Kessler
4219 Campbell Avenue
Lynchburg VA 24501