Big Stone 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT’s "Big Stone Gap 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town’s thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study area are the corporate limits of the Town of Big Stone Gap. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- BUS 23 (Gilley Ave. / East 5th Street) from south corporate limits to the north corporate limits.
- ALT 58 (Wood Ave./ BUS 23) from west corporate limits to south corporate limits/li>
- Route 610 (Wood Avenue/ 1st Avenue/ 4th Avenue) from the intersection of East 5th St./ Wood Avenue to the east corporate limits.
- 2nd Avenue from Short St. to East 5th Street.
- Short Street from ALT 58 to 2nd Avenue
- Route 613 (Spring St.) from Wood Avenue to east corporate limits.
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- affic counts conducted in May 1999
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Big Stone Gap’s 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that may be raised by local officials and citizens.
The Virginia Department of Transportation presented the proposed recommendations for the Big Stone Gap 2020 Transportation Plan on November 14, 2001 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM at the Municipal Building on 505 E. 5th Street (South), Big Stone Gap, VA. The purpose of the meeting was to present the current and future transportation needs, as well as recommended improvements to the Big Stone Gap thoroughfare system.
The Big Stone Gap Town Council adopted the Big Stone Gap 2020 Transportation Plan at the council meeting held on February 12, 2002.
A summary of the Big Stone Gap 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link:
In addition, click the following link to view the Big Stone Gap 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map:
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Big Stone Gap from the list of towns being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Big Stone Gap.
Local Contact: George Polly
505 E. 5th Street (south)
Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
Phone : (276) 523-0115
VDOT Contact: Robert Chandler
Virginia Department of Transportation
Transportation Planning Engineer
1401 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219