Blackstone 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT’s "Blackstone 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town’s thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study area are the corporate limits of the Town of Blackstone. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Business Route 460 (North Main Street) from the north corporate limits to Route 40 (Dinwiddie Street)
- Business Route 460 / Route 40 overlap from Dinwiddie Street to Church Street
- Business Route 460 (Church Street) from Business Route 460 / Route 40 overlap to the west corporate limits
- Route 40 (Dinwiddie Street) from the east corporate limits to Business Route 460 / Route 40 overlap
- Route 40 (South Main Street) from Business Route 460 (Church Street) to the south corporate limits
- Brown Street from Division Street to Church Street
- Nottoway Avenue from Brown Street to the west corporate limits
- Courthouse Road from Nottoway Avenue to the west corporate limits
- Amelia Avenue from Nottoway Avenue to the west corporate limits
- Elm Street from Business Route 460 / Route 40 overlap to Brown Street
- West Entrance Road from Business Route 460 (South Main Street) to the east corporate limits
- Ridge Road from West Entrance Drive to the south corporate limits
- North West Avenue from Nottoway Avenue to the north corporate limits
- Tenth Street from Route 40 (South Main Street) to the south corporate limits
- Division Street from Brown Street to Business Route 460 (North Main Street)
- Route 46 from Route 40 (South Main Street) to the south corporate limits
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- traffic counts conducted in June 1999
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
- truck survey in spring of 2000
The above information was analyzed to identify Blackstone’s 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that were raised by local officials and citizens.
The Virginia Department of Transportation presented the proposed recommendations for the Blackstone 2020 Transportation Plan, October 22, 2001 from 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM at the Blackstone Town Hall on Elm Street. The purpose of the meeting was to describe the current and future transportation needs, as well as recommended improvements to the Blackstone thoroughfare system. VDOT representatives were available for questions during the meeting.
On November 19 2001, the Blackstone Town Council adopted the Blackstone 2020 Transportation Plan.
A summary of the Blackstone 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking the following link.
In addition, click the following link to view the Blackstone 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
Blackstone 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Blackstone from the list of towns being studied
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Blackstone.
Local Contact: James Palmore
Blackstone Town Manager
100 W. Elm Street
Blackstone, VA 23824
Phone: (434) 292-7251
VDOT Contact: Mark Riblett
P.O. Box 3402
Virginia Department of Transportation
Colonial Heights, Virginia 23834