Bluefield 2020 Transportation Plan
Welcome to VDOT's "Bluefield 2020 Transportation Plan" study web site. The study was conducted to provide long term needs assessment for the Town's thoroughfare highway system. The boundaries of the study are the corporate limits of the town of Bluefield. The following roadway segments were evaluated:
- Route 19 (Virginia Avenue) from West Corporate Limits to West Virginia State Line
- Route 102 (College Avenue) from Stadium Drive to North Corporate Limits
- U.S. Route 460 (Bluefield Bypass) from West Corporate Limits to West Virginia State Line
- Route 900 (Fincastle Turnpike / Valleydale Street) from West Corporate Limits to Route 102 (College Avenue)
- Route 901 (Hockman Pike) from Fincastle Turnpike to Montrose Street
- Route 902 (Tazewell Avenue) from Montrose Street to Hicks Street
- Route 904 (Greever Street) from Route 19 (Virginia Avenue) to East Street
- Route 905 (East Street) from Greever Avenue to Route 19 (Virginia Avenue)
- Route 906 (Montrose Street) from Hockman Pike to Route 19 (Virginia Avenue
- Route 907 (Graham Avenue) from Route 19 (Walnut Street) to Route 19 (Virginia Avenue)
Data collected for the study of the town includes:
- traffic counts conducted in May 2000
- accident report information from 1996 through 1998
- VDOT database of roadway geometric conditions (dimensions)
- review of tourism and goods movement issues in the Town
The above information was analyzed to identify Bluefield's 2020 transportation needs based upon highway capacity, geometry, and safety as well as other concerns that were raised by local officials and citizens.
The Virginia Department of Transportation presented the proposed recommendations for the Bluefield 2020 Transportation Plan, February 25, 2002 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM at the Bluefield Municipal Building on Virginia Avenue. The purpose of this meeting was to describe the current and future transportation needs, as well as recommended improvements to the Bluefield thoroughfare system. VDOT representatives were available for questions during the meeting.
On March 25, 2002, the Bluefield Town Council adopted the Bluefield 2020 Transportation Plan.
A summary of the Bluefield 2020 Transportation Plan is available for download by clicking on the following link.
In addition, click the following link to view the Bluefield 2020 Transportation Plan Interactive Map.
If you have questions regarding the study or would like to make a comment, please contact one of the individuals listed below or click here to go to the COMMENTS section. Please be sure to select Bluefield from the list of Cities being studied.
Thank you for your interest in the future transportation system for Bluefield.
Local Contact: J.C. Higginbotham
P.O. Box 1026
Bluefield, VA 24605
Phone: (276) 322-4626
VDOT Contact: Robert Chandler
Virginia Department of Transportation
Transportation Planning Engineer
1401 East Broad Street
Richmond, Virginia 23219